Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 12:13 AM

Re: The Centre of the Earth

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I'd hazard a guess that you would never quite reach the Antipodes as, due to friction and the continuing attraction to the centre of the Earth, you'd begin to fall back to the middle.

Then, of course, you'd have burnt to a crisp long before reaching the core anyway!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'd hazard a guess that you would never quite reach the Antipodes as, due to friction and the continuing attraction to the centre of the Earth, you'd begin to fall back to the middle.

Then, of course, you'd have burnt to a crisp long before reaching the core anyway!
True very true. I am a late poster to this thread.
But I like it. I remember watching a film about this, many moons ago.

Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 12:55 AM

His/her time would be better spent moaning about Cecil Rhodes.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 01:20 AM

True very true. I am a late poster to this thread.
But I like it. I remember watching a film about this, many moons ago.
Yes, I saw that film too.

The Morlochs are scary, aren't they?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 07:00 AM

So ... no tunnel from here to Botany Bay then? Shame - we could have deported all our illegal immigrants then sealed up our end !
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-12-2017, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
So ... no tunnel from here to Botany Bay then? Shame - we could have deported all our illegal immigrants then sealed up our end !
We have plenty of old mine shafts. We could put them down there, give them a couple of pick axes and invite them to continue the journey under their own steam.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 12:10 PM

Yes, I think I read once that the centre would be a vacuum so one would be suspended whilst being burnt.

I got close once when I dug my pond in my previous house. Luckily I noticed my spade starting to melt so I quickly backfilled some soil.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-12-2017, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, I think I read once that the centre would be a vacuum so one would be suspended whilst being burnt.

I got close once when I dug my pond in my previous house. Luckily I noticed my spade starting to melt so I quickly backfilled some soil.

No, that was friction from the frantic digging.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 08:47 PM

I saw the Channel Tunnel being dug if that helps.
My next door neighbour at that time worked on it, I even have a piece of rock as a souvenir.

JBR Eloi and the Morlocks? That was The Time Machine
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-12-2017, 09:37 PM

JBR Eloi and the Morlocks? That was The Time Machine
Well what were the monsters underground then?

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top