Join for free
Page 145 of 370 « First < 45 95 135 143 144 145 146 147 155 195 245 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 10:19 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Laugh in the face of Arthritis Surfermom, and stop eating beef....Oh...you don't do you....I once watched a documentary about a boy who had arthritis from birth. He attended a clinic in Harrogate (Yorkshire) and it was found that it was beef and beef products that antagonised his joints and disabled him...

I mention this because it could be something in your diet that causes the occasional pain you experience in your joints and muscles...Not beef though...

Strange, like yourself Surfermom, I got more done around the house when I worked and had less time. I even managed to fit running and other hobbies in to my busy schedule (I've always had a very inquiring mind). I accept that the ageing process reduces performance concerning DIY, but I think my life was better organised then to make more effective use of my limited time. Perhaps it was working to a clock that allowed me plan ahead....No clocks now, and no structured work pattern or direction....

Gallery night sounds like a good night out, I like visiting art galleries ever since we got some new neighbours about six years ago and found them extremely good company. Since then we have done loads of stuff together, walks, restaurants and holidays together. Michael is an artist so Art Galleries are always high on our list of places to visit when travelling to a town or city. I've learnt many things in his company, but I still can't paint.....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 10:42 PM

What a nice post, and where it matters most, you are obviously a rich man Floydy. You will come out of this well because despite the challenges of work, you seem to have a very balanced life. You'll make that goal because as a bodybuilder, you know how set a goal out in the future and stay with program.

While OGF turned his attic into a gym and, as a result, can no longer so much as operate his remote control to watch the London Marathon, we can only hope that Mrs. Fox took a moment from picking out tiles and appliances to help our favorite marathoner find the right channel on the television. BTW, we are not to believe for a moment that OGF has left the playing field to take his place in the stands....

I wish I had! It is blowing a blue streak here, and failing to check the tides, I was batted around like a beach ball for 3.5 miles east today. While the wind was at my back for the return trip, I spent most of it dodging the progressively incoming waves that were working collaboratively to soak my running shoes and socks. I am fairly sure I could hear behind each soaking assault a cheer of victory at my expense . Being pushed along was easy, but as I squinted my way into the lowering sun, getting soggier and soggier, I finally relented and removed my shoes and socks, slogging along and dodging waves the last half mile. Do you remember the image of Bo Derek running along the beach in the movie, Ten?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ten.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	5777

Well, I looked more like Dudley Moore with a score of two. I will just rest on my laurels that I netted seven.

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 04:10 AM

Aha! Diet, OGF! I hadn't even considered foods that trigger inflammation. Thank you for bringing this to my dim-witted attention It is true that have been a little careless about my diet, but not so far as to eat beef...or a McDonald's fryup .

So much for good fences making good neighbors! Seriously though, it sounds like you hit the jackpot with interesting friends whom you enjoy. It's a good thing your friend has a passion for art instead of something like earthworms or your outings might be quite different .

Thankfully there were worms at Gallery Night, but there was sensational art of all mediums, and excellent music. I am ever impressed by talent, but even more impressed with people who hone their skills in whatever they undertake. It was great fun talking to the artists and picking their brains about how they create, and it was a fine spring evening to be out walking.

It seems that don't always have to run.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 01:11 PM

In a perfect world my neighbours would have been runners Surfermom, but hey ho, artist will have to do........Anyway, if my comeback doesn't work out perhaps painting or fishing might might move up the list of preferred things to do........Well! perhaps not fishing...

I enjoyed watching the London Marathon, in fact I'm still watching it while I write this, although the winners are on their way home, the good club runners are still coming through in around three hours. I was about thirteen minutes later, back in 1989....
If I was still capable of running 26.2 miles I wouldn't run the London. Too much fuss, and too many people, I always preferred to run the more obscure marathons with plenty of space...

When God designed the perfect marathon runner why did he make them all black...?....

I had the best bit of the day this morning when I set off for a steady five out in the country. A beautiful spring morning saw me struggling over the first mile or two, but albeit slow, I managed to find a pace that took me home without walking and I arrived home in decent shape........But while nestled down on the sofa eating my breakfast (It turned out to be porridge after all) and watching the race, rain patters on the window and a it looks like it's in for the rest of the day....No big waves though....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 02:25 PM

Well I reckon if I‘d stuck to my earlier jogging routine I might have gone the way of marathons. Years ago (around 1986) I had decided to join the RAF and so began a couple of years when I would not only cycle to work (which was a good five miles from my house) each day, but a few times per week I would jog there and back instead. This is going back some years though – thirty in fact! – but I was heavily into running everywhere before I started with the weights when I got the nod to enlist for the forces and needed to bulk up somewhat. I did, however, keep my jogging going whilst bodybuilding right up until I left the RAF though, doing the circuit around Lincoln each night…and Bob, you know how hilly it is around there! Ahh, what could have been, eh?

Great run though yourself today mate, you’re doing wonderfully again but are more cautious now after your injury.

So you’ve found a pair of dumbbells in your loft then Bob and had a little go with them? I am impressed by that mate. You will of course ache from this as you’re using muscles you don’t normally exercise. It’s all very well lifting boxes, washing and the Hoover doing Mrs. Fox’s chores, but starting on something you are not really used to and doing reps is something different. There is nothing wrong with your strength bud, it’s about practice and technique and if you installed a regular routine adding a few reps per day, you would of course have 20” guns in no time. I don’t doubt it. If I ever should take a trip to Doncaster for any reason, we’ll have an hour at your local leisure centre and I’ll put you through your paces. In return I’ll huff and puff on the treadmill for a couple of miles (or minutes?!)

Suzie – I told you that you would enjoy your night out at the gallery, and you seem to have had a very interesting evening seeing some different aspects of art. I’m pleased you went and enjoyed the evening out. You’re rolling and tumbling around in that surf though…and my eyes nearly popped out of my head when I saw that pic of Bo Derek – I thought it was you at first!!!

Me, well after a few sociable yesterday afternoon and trying to keep awake when I came in at around 6pm, I ate a lovely big chicken and bacon pasta dish, listened to what Mrs. Floyd had to moan about (dog next door, the Queen on telly, a driver up her ass yesterday blah blah blah) and went to bed about 8pm. Wide awake again at 10 with a banging headache I posted on here for a bit, arguing with a regular moaner like myself and went back to bed. I was up yet again at midnight wide awake – these nights are definitely no good for me – and posted some albums on my thread.
Then I slept and slept solidly right through until 9am this morning! What is going on? Breakfast was served, Mrs. Floydy went out to work and I packed for the gym at 12.

So washing done and hanging out to dry, I packed for the gym and began on my leg work. After a few reps on the sled press I lost interest totally and was back in my car driving back home after 10 minutes. Just no motivation today, but you know what? I wasn’t even bothered. Nice to chill out in fact. So Bob, I think you’ll get those arms of mine very soon if I carry on like this mate. I’ll have withered away if I don’t get a grip next week!

Take care all.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

23-04-2018, 05:43 AM

Such good reading about your history with running marathons, OGF, and your running in general, Floydy. Not so fast on hanging up your running shoes, OGF, and that five miles today was proof of that! You always make running sound as appealing as fine dining , and I find myself jealous just reading about your foot work. Likewise my neighbors have all sorts of interests, but running - or surfing, for that matter - are not among them. That's ok, though...more waves and quiet running paths for me!

And quiet it was today as I took a weekly recovery day, much like Floydy . It's a good thing too as a wide passing line of thunderstorms spawned three tornadoes that caused quite a bit of damage around here. My plants and patio furniture were knocked over in gusts, but I was more fortunate than my neighbor who went for a massage and came out to find her car windows blown out. So much for relaxation!

I did do a round of step aerobics and some yoga, and while I don't (thankfully) have 20" biceps, I did my bit in my batwing avoidance training for the day.

It's almost Monday everyone, so I hope the calorie burning and muscle building goes even better than planned
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-04-2018, 09:38 AM

You were doing some impressive running back in the day Floydy, and I can relate to running to work and back. In my late teenage years and early twenties I wandered around different sports trying to find something I could enjoy. I was a decent cyclist and through my life have completed several long distance rides, the longest being the Coast to Coast, over two hundred and fifty miles over three days. Swimming a mile in the sea on a few occasions (my first time at twelve) but they never really clicked. I even tried lifting weights......Trying to improve a skinny looking frame, and to stop bruisers from kicking sand in my face.....

But it was on that late summers evening back in 1978 when I jogged up the lane and collapsed against the gate of the railway crossing that something happened to me...
It was like finding God!....And although bruisers still kick sand in my face....they have to catch me first.....

Sorry Floydy, but I think I'll pass on the Gym invitation.....
It's not 'Outdoorsy' enough for me.....
Keep up the good work though.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-04-2018, 09:42 AM

And I haven't forgot about you Surfermom...
I'll deal with you later......
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2018, 03:25 PM

I really do love this thread, we have such a camaraderie going on and it's great to hear about all of your past and present routines you have been doing over the years. Hopefully others will look in and see that it's not hard to exercise. It's that initial drive of willpower to get you going and it beats slobbing about on the sofa encouraging illness any day. Although we do have time to slob around sometimes on our rest days!

I think we all have the fitness bug in our genes, we just enjoy looking after our health and that is something which is vastly important, if not the most important thing in our lives. We get aches, pains, niggles, complaints, strains and sprains, but we persevere and get through it to gallivant on our fitness adventures for another day. love it

I seem to be in the middle of a quandary about my own programme to be honest. The way it is at the moment is slightly too technical, too long-winded and it's getting difficult to keep track of all the extra bits and bobs I've been adding into it. The "plus reps", the additional sets, doing certain exercises on different days etc. and I'm getting all bogged down with it to be honest.

I'll be re-writing my template soon (when I get time!) to specify a certain routine for different days. Nothing too complicated, just something I can understand and get along with.

Today though, I had a brief session at the gym covering seven quick exercises. No point in listing everything, but I aimed for higher reps as that is the direction I must stay with in the main. My holiday is in five weeks' time, so it's time to tone up a little more for that. I'll be more specific in the next few days as to what I've come up with!

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

24-04-2018, 03:53 AM

Floydy, I am with you about this thread. I really enjoy the camaraderie on this thread. I wish I knew more runners about my age, because we face similar joys and challenges, but the reality is I am becoming a rarer bird by the moment. There are so many gems of advice and stories here that this thread never fails to inform and entertain.

On that note, you seem to be as organized with your workout routines as your music albums, which I haven’t forgotten, BTW. As a runner it is easy to track my accomplishments with my GPS watch, but what do you do to record your various workouts? Do you write them down? Use an app on your phone? When I used to go to the gym back near the dawn of man, I wrote everything on a sheet that was kept in a file. When I didn’t have it, I found myself sloppy about the weights and reps. I know OGF keeps good notes on his running. How far back do you have records, OGF?

I started my sporting career in gymnastics and competed well, but when I nearly broke my neck on a bad dismount off the balance beam , I recognized rather quickly that an early death was counterproductive to staying fit .

In the days that followed, my very active mother gently suggested that it was unlikely that I would weigh 85 pounds forever and there weren’t many forty-year-olds doing the uneven parallel bars. So, like OGF, I flitted about, trying cycling, tennis, and gym work. Running was one of the few sports I didn’t try because my coach had systematically taught us all to hate running - with the exception of the one girl in the class who always came in first.

I enjoyed going to the gym well enough, but besides the obvious problem of it being indoors (and this was decades before outdoor bootcamp classes), too many of the machines were not scaled for my being “altitudinally challenged” frame.

Funny, but I don’t remember when I started to run. I do remember going in and being properly fitted for shoes, and I think that very good decision and the expense inspired me - frivolously wasting money is most definitely not my thing. Although I am sure I huffed, puffed, bounced, and rolled my way down the paved subdivision trail in my neighborhood, in about four months my one mile outings had turned into 10Ks. There was no miracle that got me to running long distances, and while my body is anything but gazelle-like, I think not starting out trying to run too far kept me coming back. Even better, I realized that running was an excellent way to train for surfing.

Still out there and plodding along today, I felt like a hand was pressing against my forehead for a good half of the route with sustained winds at 20 mph. Having brilliantly chosen to run a beach road, I was sandblasted the entire route - somewhat like a spa treatment, only painful and without the glowing skin afterwards ;-D. On the return, I had the wind at my back enabling me to pick up the pace, but with my hair in my face the whole way, I am sure I looked like an English Sheepdog to the passing cars. Oh well, I am happy enough with a sunny five.

How's the kitchen coming, OGF?

Page 145 of 370 « First < 45 95 135 143 144 145 146 147 155 195 245 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top