Join for free
Page 502 of 1676 « First < 2 402 452 492 500 501 502 503 504 512 552 602 1002 1502 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 10:07 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Ah poor old Bang bang the lord be good to him. a harmless oul devil, they still talk about him to this day. I think most towns and villages everywhere had their own characters, Mad Mary’s and Johnny Forty Coats were a plenty.
Dubliners were forever putting nick names on people and national monuments/institutions. Anna Livia in the fountain in O’Connell St. was ‘The whore in the sewer’ the statue of Joyce leaning on his cane became ‘The p…k with the stick’ and so on, people who drank in the house and not the pub were ‘Silent pints’.
Twenty years ago all the postal workers were moved from the city centre out to a brand new building way outside the city, most of the lads in the post office liked a pint at breaks and after work but there wasn’t a pub for miles of the new place, they christened the new building ‘The Betty Ford Clinic’
We didn’t have a public crematorium here until the 1970’s, something to do with catholics not allowed cremation and the church objecting to it, I vaguely remember the chap who campaigned for one for years, forget his real name now, but he was nicknamed ‘Starve the maggots’
Bang bang is long gone but sadly today there are too many real shootings in the city with the drug gangs bumping off each other.

Dominic Behan, Brendan’s brother wasn’t a bad songwriter Gummy, he wrote ‘Liverpool Lou’ you should know that one.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 10:16 PM

Pints ain't about the taste, in the early years it's about Dutch Courage, in the later years it's about Mindbending, then there are those who use a few pints to loosen the tongue.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 10:23 PM

Who remembers Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 10:31 PM

I know of them.

Not personally.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 06:17 AM

ya know for years I thought that Liverpool Lou was a guy cause I had an Uncle Lou d'ya see - and whenever whoever was singin got to the line "why don't you behave, love, like the other girls do?" I was always very confused until me mate who was as tick as I was then said - well he's a big girls blouse ain't he now?

took me years to work that one out!! but da one that used to break me heart up was "the leavin of Liverpool" and I did just after the 11 plus!

but strangely enough I was doing a walk around the old neighbourhoods or tryin to on google earth and ya know they've turned it into a beautiful inner city and I would be happy to live there for a while now. all my old streets have gone of course but they were mangy really and needed to! I even joined the church restoration body and will try to send them a few bricks each year??
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 06:26 AM

talkin aboot churches as I was there are now four major high church Anglicans who have united for safety and become the Parish of all saints - the one my parents married in is still standing but was deconsecrated and left to rot by the church authorities [ heavenly brownie points lost there] but has now be restored to high quality dorms for the university students - my goodness and all these four congregations have chummed up and started helping each other - great to see progress eh?

I also see that there is of course a selection of deconsecrated churches for sale all over the place - talk about gettin a foot in the door!!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

22-02-2018, 08:11 AM

Some things are best left in the past, I never reciprocated when my Ex-communicated.
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 10:35 AM

I have to say that the standard of grammar, spelling & punctuation has improved enormously in this little, but influential, sector of Over50s Forum.

I exclude myself from this Statement for the simple reason that I am old & feeble . It's pot luck where my fingers land once the old Dopamine is unleashed at about 11AM

Well done this group, you are inspirational.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 11:10 AM

Drugs and aging affect us all in one way or another but so longs as we can still see to hit those keys and tell us about it that is all that matters, along with a sense of humour.

For example Grandad can't find his phone. It rings, but it's not in his pockets, or his car. When he walks away you can't hear the ringing so it must be on him somewhere.

I am not quite as bad as this yet but getting there

Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 12:19 PM

I am convinced that there is an international gang of mischiefs who go around moving and hiding things. Your 'phone, your keys, your wallet, and your marbles being the most targeted items to be hid.

Many is the time I've lost something, knowing that it can't be far away, and often within arms reach of me. The most famous of these from my perspective was when I lost a particular spaniard. (You know, one of those things for doing up nuts and bolts.)
I was replacing the clutch on a car of mine. Lying on my back underneath it I put a ring spaniard down. It was a nice spaniard, one of a set I got with a bunch of green shield stamps, but when I went to pick it up, there it was gone. I hadn't moved from under the car since using it only a minute before, but it was nowhere to be seen. My toolbox was out of reach so it couldn't be there, it wasn't in a pocket, I wasn't lying on it, but it was completely out of site.
I got out from underneath and had a good look all round the car, under it, under the darkest shadows cast by the tyres, in my pockets again, my shoes, the creases of my clothes, but not a hint of the shiny chrome vanadium double ended ring spaniard was to be seen.

I took my jumper off and shook it. I jumped up and down. I went round the car twice more, but all to no avail.
Eventually I finished the job using a different spaniard all together.

Six weeks later I had cause to lift the bonnet to check something, looked down, and there was my lonely spaniard sat on top of a chassis rail, despite me having driven hundreds of miles since loosing the aforesaid tool. Whilst lying underneath he car, a naughty sprite or goblin or member of the fabled international gang of mischiefs must have picked it up and placed it atop the chassis. Oh what a jolly jape they must have thought of that.

They are still at it to this day, causing mayhem and assaulting my sanity by moving all sorts of small items.

Page 502 of 1676 « First < 2 402 452 492 500 501 502 503 504 512 552 602 1002 1502 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top