Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
callistra
london uk
callistra is female  callistra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2016, 01:43 PM

Foods that help prevent reflux ?

I have a kind of reflux called LPR or 'silent reflux', it can damage vocal cords, makes swallowing difficult and can cause a cough and asthma type symptoms.:-I wondered what worked for others? Has anyone tried Alkaline food diet ? Any suggestions welcomed.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2016, 02:57 PM

Re: Foods that help prevent reflux ?

This thread couldn't have arrived at a better time so shall follow with interest! I am not so sure mine is silent! I get a burning in the solar plexus area and sometimes wake up with a lumpy feeling in the tissues of my throat.

I have been experimenting with different foods to see what triggers it but so far haven't been able to detect anything in particular but I'm probably not trying hard enough.

Currently on Omeprazole - which I absolutely loathe taking, just hate taking drugs of any kind if I can help it.

A nutritionist absolutely raved about the alkaline diet saying when followed it removes the symptoms of reflux altogether.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2016, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
This thread couldn't have arrived at a better time so shall follow with interest! I am not so sure mine is silent! I get a burning in the solar plexus area and sometimes wake up with a lumpy feeling in the tissues of my throat.

I have been experimenting with different foods to see what triggers it but so far haven't been able to detect anything in particular but I'm probably not trying hard enough.

Currently on Omeprazole - which I absolutely loathe taking, just hate taking drugs of any kind if I can help it.

A nutritionist absolutely raved about the alkaline diet saying when followed it removes the symptoms of reflux altogether.
If you decide to come off the Omeprazole and you have been taking them for a while, please do it slowly. I was prescribed them for a few years but discovered that I didn't need them and stopped taking them. About 3 weeks after stopping I had tremendous heartburn so asked my doctor what I should do. He put me back on them for a few weeks then told me to reduce to every 2 days, then every 3 and continued till I was taking one a week and then none at all! This sorted my problem so please consider coming off them slowly, because they are proton pump inhibitors and reduce the acid that your stomach produces. When you stop taking them the acid goes back to normal production rates. Ask your doctor if you need any further info.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2016, 04:38 PM

You certainly get to depend upon them. Azz created an entire thread to acid reflux medication. I am cutting them down as much as possible.

I gadnt realised just how dangerous reflux was, it makes sense
, all that acid swimming around over tissue that it's not supposed to go near.

Acid reflux us definitely very nasty

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
If you decide to come off the Omeprazole and you have been taking them for a while, please do it slowly. I was prescribed them for a few years but discovered that I didn't need them and stopped taking them. About 3 weeks after stopping I had tremendous heartburn so asked my doctor what I should do. He put me back on them for a few weeks then told me to reduce to every 2 days, then every 3 and continued till I was taking one a week and then none at all! This sorted my problem so please consider coming off them slowly, because they are proton pump inhibitors and reduce the acid that your stomach produces. When you stop taking them the acid goes back to normal production rates. Ask your doctor if you need any further info.
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2016, 05:15 PM

I used to take Lanzaprosole---for some time, to help with these problems---I gradually cut down and do not need them at all now---I have completely change my diet--the food I eat.
callistra
london uk
callistra is female  callistra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 03:59 PM

I have been looking in to the Alkaline diet more and found some information which may be useful.
foods with a PH above 5 are recommended.
lean chicken or steak
white fish, egg whites or whole egg if it doesn't effect you.
bread, muffins, pasta, rice,oatmeal, wholegrain cereal, crackers
Limited fruit....melon, bananas, red apples, pears
most vegetables...greens, salad, baked or boiled potatoes...no onions, tomatoes or peppers.
low fat milk, or cottage cheese. Natural yogurt if it doesn't cause a problem.
Dried figs and dates okay
But no fatty, oily or rich foods as they stay in the stomach longer, need more acid to digest and can cause the lower esophageal sphincter [at the entrance to the stomach ]to stay open and let food reflux.
No full fat cheese, nuts, butter, fried foods, roast foods, chips, pastries, cakes, sauces or rich gravy, cream ,crisps etc
No chocolate or coffee
No vinegar, pepper or citrus fruit
No spicy food, curry or mint
Also they recommend eating smaller meals more often, don't eat within 3 hours of bedtime and to raise the head of the bed if reflux is a problem at night.
Apparently over time if symptoms ease you can introduce other foods gradually.
Ho hum there goes a lot of my favourite foods.
I will try it as this vapour like reflux is effecting my lungs.
Camomile tea is supposed to be soothing too as is slippery elm.
Hope this is helpful.
Baxter8
Somerset

08-09-2016, 04:56 PM

i have heard about camomile tea as being very soothing to the stomach before bed

I never knew that about fatty foods, I often wondered why they were discouraged. I guess the most important thing is to eat a small amount of low fat food in the evening. During they day maybe the food has time to be properly digest.

Living without chocolate would be difficult but almost impossible without coffee. the very idea brings tears to my eyes even though I only have one cup a day but do drink a lot of builder's tea!

thank you for providing all this information.

Originally Posted by callistra ->
I have been looking in to the Alkaline diet more and found some information which may be useful.
foods with a PH above 5 are recommended.
lean chicken or steak
white fish, egg whites or whole egg if it doesn't effect you.
bread, muffins, pasta, rice,oatmeal, wholegrain cereal, crackers
Limited fruit....melon, bananas, red apples, pears
most vegetables...greens, salad, baked or boiled potatoes...no onions, tomatoes or peppers.
low fat milk, or cottage cheese. Natural yogurt if it doesn't cause a problem.
Dried figs and dates okay
But no fatty, oily or rich foods as they stay in the stomach longer, need more acid to digest and can cause the lower esophageal sphincter [at the entrance to the stomach ]to stay open and let food reflux.
No full fat cheese, nuts, butter, fried foods, roast foods, chips, pastries, cakes, sauces or rich gravy, cream ,crisps etc
No chocolate or coffee
No vinegar, pepper or citrus fruit
No spicy food, curry or mint
Also they recommend eating smaller meals more often, don't eat within 3 hours of bedtime and to raise the head of the bed if reflux is a problem at night.
Apparently over time if symptoms ease you can introduce other foods gradually.
Ho hum there goes a lot of my favourite foods.
I will try it as this vapour like reflux is effecting my lungs.
Camomile tea is supposed to be soothing too as is slippery elm.
Hope this is helpful.
callistra
london uk

10-09-2016, 06:27 PM

You're very welcome Baxter8.
It can take a week or two to make a difference. Also, unlike food allergies, it can take longer for the reflux to occur after food, so it can be hard to pinpoint which item it was. It is trial and error. They also recommend keeping a food diary, which may help show up some sort of pattern.
In the case of LPR[ laryngopharyngeal reflux] it is the ENT department who seem to diagnose it.
I hope you find some relief.
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2016, 08:54 AM

I think it is more of what I do not eat as to what I do eat-I rarely eat meat--apples, bread--they all seemed to make things a lot worse for me.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2016, 09:02 AM

Avoid fatty foods and fryups believe me, I didn't and landed up in hospital with my Gall bladder having to be removed after having sever pains and my pancrias damaged as well. On top of that an internal infection the Dr's warned Sue that I was that I may not be coming out of hospital. Having spent a lot of time last year in and out of hospital as they did not diagnose my illness propely in the first place I would not wish that on anyone. I thought i was having a heart attack and rushed into hospita and they said it was acid reflux , how wrong can they get?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top