Join for free
Page 14 of 16 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 06:03 PM

Re: The Irish Border Problem

Originally Posted by Mountaintop ->
By the way, I support you in that. But by peaceful means. I mean, can you imagine, if the scenario was reversed and Ireland had historically occupied Devon and Cornwall say. Which wouldn't happen because Britain would have invaded and kicked us out years ago. But if say they didn't/couldn't and today a part of the UK mainland was Irish. Can you imagine the uproar! The people now against Irish unification would be demanding the unification of the UK.
I have friends in both North and Southern Ireland never have I heard either express a wish for a unified Ireland .
Mountaintop
Ireland, Meath
Mountaintop is male  Mountaintop has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have friends in both North and Southern Ireland never have I heard either express a wish for a unified Ireland .
I find that very hard to believe. The vast majority of people on the ISLAND of Ireland aspire to a unified united Ireland. There is nothing wrong with that. It is a peaceful aspiration. It is not a threat. I fully understand that it will never happen until the majority of people in Northern Ireland want it. That's democracy.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
See what I mean matey - because I happen to support a united Ireland, I'm classed as a 'traitor, - well so be it!!! 'little englanders' can go elsewhere to urinate.
I don't disagree with you.

As I've said before, a united Ireland would probably make life easier for us English. However, the Ulster people don't want it and, like the Falklanders, they deserve to be respected.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
But nationality comes down to people not geography surely? How many countries are there in, say, Africa. Using the same argument of geography then, shouldn't they be unified? While ever the majority wish to remain as a separate nation shouldn't that stance be respected and really why should we, who live in another country altogether, even pontificate on the matter?
I agree. We Yorkies have long demanded our independence from the UK, never mind the EU!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-12-2017, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Of course. Like so many other things, it's down to religion, isn't it? Majority Protestant in the north; majority Catholic in the south.

I believe that, in the distant future when the world is 100% atheist, we won't have these problems!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 07:25 PM

No JBR my friends were not religiously minded and had friends of both faiths .
Not everyone chooses their friends on the basis of religion in fact I don't know anyone who does .
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
A truly ridiculous idea. The country has flourished since joining. We never helped much.

You forgot the bail out from the uk when the banks crashed?

It was the UK and not the EU that bailed them out because the UK and Eire depend on each other
Mountaintop
Ireland, Meath
Mountaintop is male  Mountaintop has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
You forgot the bail out from the uk when the banks crashed?

It was the UK and not the EU that bailed them out because the UK and Eire depend on each other
As I said before, the UK was part of a group of countries that contributed. All have now been fully repaid. Repeat, all have been repaid. In full. Sweden had a similar arrangement in the 1980s when it had a financial crisis, Britain itself was bailed out by the IMF during the 1970s and currently is one of the most indebted nations in the world. If you're going to state facts, please make sure these are correct. Thank-you.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I knew nothing of that referendum, it wasn't obviously well publicised this side of the Irish Sea, but given the passage of time subsequently, is it not reasonable to ask the Northern Irish population whether, in order to resolve the 'border issue' once and for all, whether they would like re-unification with Eire.

Working for IPSOs Mori in the lead to the brexit vote, I canvassed North Antrim. Now I got a bowl licking for saying this one another forum ( before brexit) , but from my results, NA voted brexit and did not agree to a hard border

Those results followed up in the voting booth (NA voted brexit)

There hasn't been a 'hard border' since the middle of the last century.

The U.K. and Eire have had a 'special relationship' because we need each other
Mel15
Nowhere

08-12-2017, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mountaintop ->
As I said before, the UK was part of a group of countries that contributed. All have now been fully repaid. Repeat, all have been repaid. In full. Sweden had a similar arrangement in the 1980s when it had a financial crisis, Britain itself was bailed out by the IMF during the 1970s and currently is one of the most indebted nations in the world. If you're going to state facts, please make sure these are correct. Thank-you.
Sorry Mountaintop, I didn't mention it had been repaid ( and really quickly at that ) Kind of thought that was pretty well known

Both the North and South benefit greatly from EU money. There's not a new road built on either side that hasn't signs up that it was built with EU money

Us in the north love our ' special status' and the money that pours in to us for it ( that's a general us btw). No wonder the overall vote was to remain

Page 14 of 16 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top