Join for free
Page 15 of 16 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 09:30 PM

Re: The Irish Border Problem

I believe it should all be one country, but that's the Republican in me and Protestants/Unionists in the North should be respected like (as already mentioned) those of the Falkland Islands.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I believe it should all be one country, but that's the Republican in me and Protestants/Unionists in the North should be respected like (as already mentioned) those of the Falkland Islands.

I believed that when as an Irish Catholic I lived in London

Now I live in Northern Ireland, I still hope it will happen, but it won't be in my lifetime, nor my children's

We are slowly merging, really slowly, but when we are sitting here without a government all because one party insists on Irish being taught and the other party refuses we have a long way to go
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 09:41 PM

Have they sorted out who's in charge at Stormont yet?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Have they sorted out who's in charge at Stormont yet?

Arelene will be ( unfortunately) if we had a Stormont Gvt
Mountaintop
Ireland, Meath
Mountaintop is male  Mountaintop has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Sorry Mountaintop, I didn't mention it had been repaid ( and really quickly at that ) Kind of thought that was pretty well known

Both the North and South benefit greatly from EU money. There's not a new road built on either side that hasn't signs up that it was built with EU money

Us in the north love our ' special status' and the money that pours in to us for it ( that's a general us btw). No wonder the overall vote was to remain
All major infrastructure projects in the Irish Republic are now fully funded by either the government or public/private partnerships. The EU does not pay for roads any longer because Ireland has reached its financial threshold to pay for these itself. The whole idea of part financing these projects in the past was to bring up the infrastructure in Ireland to a standard whereby the Irish economy could function on an equal basis alongside its European neighbours. This has now being achieved. Incidentally, one of the highest recipients for EU handouts as you call them is now Wales, which, ironically, voted to leave the EU.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

08-12-2017, 09:45 PM

Of course, Ireland is due 11 or was it 13? billion pounds from Apple which it is unwilling to take.
Mel15
Nowhere

08-12-2017, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mountaintop ->
All major infrastructure projects in the Irish Republic are now fully funded by either the government or public/private partnerships. The EU does not pay for roads any longer because Ireland has reached its financial threshold to pay for these itself. The whole idea of part financing these projects in the past was to bring up the infrastructure in Ireland to a standard whereby the Irish economy could function on an equal basis alongside its European neighbours. This has now being achieved. Incidentally, one of the highest recipients for EU handouts as you call them is now Wales, which, ironically, voted to leave the EU.

Hey, I'm not fighting with you, us this side of the border are now getting our roads compliments of EU funding

Just had five miles of dual carriageway built here near me at a cost of 55 million or something stupid

Remember the days when the north had the good roads? Long gone, full of pot holes and overgrown verges
Mountaintop
Ireland, Meath
Mountaintop is male  Mountaintop has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I believed that when as an Irish Catholic I lived in London

Now I live in Northern Ireland, I still hope it will happen, but it won't be in my lifetime, nor my children's

We are slowly merging, really slowly, but when we are sitting here without a government all because one party insists on Irish being taught and the other party refuses we have a long way to go
I agree with you. We are slowly merging, but Brexit doesn't help. People are basically the same wherever you go, the difference, is social, educational, colour, whatever. If we can just see that we are all the same underneath, that no one has to be better than one another, then we might all get along. But Brexit has sure brought out some ugly stereotyping and racist attitudes, and it didn't take much to scratch the surface to find it. Unfortunately.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 10:05 PM

I agree with you. We are slowly merging, but Brexit doesn't help. People are basically the same wherever you go, the difference, is social, educational, colour, whatever. If we can just see that we are all the same underneath, that no one has to be better than one another, then we might all get along. But Brexit has sure brought out some ugly stereotyping and racist attitudes, and it didn't take much to scratch the surface to find it. Unfortunately.
Most of the ugly stereotyping and racist attitudes were from the REMAIN supporters
Mel15
Nowhere

08-12-2017, 10:11 PM

See now here where I live, North Antrim , what is very pro brexit, we see its 'you lot down there' causing the heartache

Belfast are probably rubbing their hands in glee

The Island of Ireland is very divided , not only by a hard border

Where I live I am accepted and part of the community, yet I wouldn't be welcome just 2 miles down the road

Page 15 of 16 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top