Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 10:48 AM

More Power

You may recall I fitted an aux battery in the back of my car to run a fridge.

Well, for reasons I can't really understand I bought a 100watt solar panel (OK I do know why - because it was cheap) and fitted that to my car too.

I had hoped that it would sit slightly below the roof racks so they could still be used but unfortunately that was not to be at best it is level with the top of the racks. This is not the disaster it appears because I have used the racks once in the couple of years I have had this car.

I suspect the panel is complete overkill because I have had the fridge running in the car for a couple days without running the engine and the battery voltage has only dropped to about 12 volts - its a 120Ah battery. It only took a run of a an hour or so to restore the battery to over 13.5v not only that but I always plug the fridge into the mains when I am in a commercial caravan park - and I do have a generator if I do a lot of free camping.

Never mind it gives me something to do between trips.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3101.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	4672  
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 04:16 AM

Re: More Power

I am thinking of making a light wooden cover for it for use in hail storms. They seem to be getting more frequent, my current car has been in more than all my previous cars combined.

It is only a matter of time before I encounter golf ball sized hail stones.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top