Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 08:14 AM

Roast Potatoes.

I was watching Sky News this morning and there was an interesting discussion about how to roast potatoes. I don't do good roast potatoes. One recipe I'd never heard of before was to par-boil the potatoes first and then roll them in flour before roasting them. How do you roast your tatties? I'm digging for ideas
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 08:59 AM

Re: Roast Potatoes.

[QUOTE=Kev60;1322262]I was watching Sky News this morning and there was an interesting discussion about how to roast potatoes. I don't do good roast potatoes. One recipe I'd never heard of before was to par-boil the potatoes first and then roll them in flour before roasting them. How do you roast your tatties? I'm digging for ideas[/QUOTE

Some potatoes roast better than others, so it depends what type of potatoes you have been using. I tend to use 'reds', as they roast better.

Your description is a lot of faffing about, I just peel them, cut them in halves or quarters, depending on their size, andlace them in aroasting tin. I also use lard or dripping instead of oil, they roast a lot better that way.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 09:15 AM

I find Red are the best as well.

I always part boil my potatoes then put them in the oven with just a very small drizzle of oil, if you use butter then they go soft, oil they go crispy, but as UJ say it all depends on the potatoes you use, some of the white potatoes taste watery inside.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 09:45 AM

I steam the potatoes for ten minutes then rough them up a big by shaking them in the pan with a lid on, get the sides of the potatoes a bit rough and you get lovely crispy bits.

I cook them in vegetable oil, sunflower preferably.

But as others have said it depends on the potato you start out with. I'm not a red fan, a floury White is fine.

I did make a terrible mistake once following seeing a chef on tv I covered my potatoes in semolina, crunchy ? Oh yes none of us could get a knife through them, we ended up having to fetch the mallet from the kitchen drawer and smashing them up. Much laughter but not the best roasties.
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I did make a terrible mistake once following seeing a chef on tv I covered my potatoes in semolina, crunchy ? Oh yes none of us could get a knife through them, we ended up having to fetch the mallet from the kitchen drawer and smashing them up. Much laughter but not the best roasties.

I did the same following a recipe where it said to put the potatoes in a bag with flour and a little salt and shake them until they were covered in the mixture. Then let them sit for half an hour before roasting them. I finished up with something you could've paved roads with.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 10:29 AM

Floury potatoes are best for crisp roasties, King Edwards are my first choice or Maris Piper.
Part boil for about 8 mins /drain in a colander allowing the steam to escape/back into the pan with a lid on/shake to fluff up the outside/now into a roasting pan of hot fat and into the oven/turn during baking.
They will be golden and very crisp .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Floury potatoes are best for crisp roasties, King Edwards are my first choice or Maris Piper.
Part boil for about 8 mins /drain in a colander allowing the steam to escape/back into the pan with a lid on/shake to fluff up the outside/now into a roasting pan of hot fat and into the oven/turn during baking.
They will be golden and very crisp .
That's my method too Meg. Sometimes if I'm feeling adventurous, I will add a clove of garlic (uncrushed) and a sprig of rosemary. Occasionally I roll the par boiled potatoes in grated parmesan.

Jamie Oliver once said that the meal isn't ready until the roast potatoes are done and I agree with him.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 11:32 AM

Aunt Bessie’s frozen do for me. 30 minutes in the oven.
Well what do you expect, I am a man.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Actually, they are not bad are they, along with her Yorkshires.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->

Some of us 'blokes' are more capable than that and actually cook food from scratch.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top