Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 04:49 PM

Re: Fresh vegetables

Thank you, hon...
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 04:56 PM

Wild Blueberry -

It's easy to use up veg and even salads like lettuce or cucumber when they're looking a bit tired & old -

Start off by frying onions, celery & peppers if you have them, in oil. Then add the rest, a can of tomatoes, stock, seasoning and anything else you can think of, like leftover baked beans, just use your imagination
I had some crispbread I didn't like so I put one in a panful, and it all mushed down & blended in to add more bulk & fibre

If the soup is a bit bland you can of course add more seasoning & herbs, but also booze; wine, brandy, sherry, and/or cream

You could probably do this in a slow cooker but I haven't tried that yet

You can get a hand held blender, aka stick blender cheap enough. You don't need the fancy attachments, but get one where the stick part unscrews from the motor for cleaning
Pay attention; a moment's lack of concentration and you can make a spectacular mess of your kitchen
If you get a mains one you will need an electricity socket close, and keep the lead clear of the hob
You can get battery operated ones

This sort of soup tends to grow & grow. I dispense it into single servings in freezer bags, and freeze some for future use
Or you could make a soup base - freeze just the blended veg in a small amount of water or stock as this will take up less room, then use it to make up a proper soup or stew as you need it
effingpot
Hampshire, UK
effingpot is male  effingpot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
And I'll also have room for a WINE RACK!
Yay!! I have to agree with the soup comments - I always add a potato or two as it thickens nicely when whizzed up. The other thing I added the other week was half a butternut squash - yummy! The soup keeps for a while in the fridge. I sometimes add left over chicken or whatever there is lying around.

Frozen avocado sound a bit weird - not sure how that works. If you do get some do share
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 09:53 PM

Frozen Vegetables may very well be fresh as the day they are picked,but they all taste the same, and their is no comparison with freshly picked vegetables.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 07:50 PM

I'm also someone who enjoys fresh vegetables but lives alone. Usually I can get round this by buying in small quantities and turning leftovers into soup or some kind of omelette. I rarely eat canned unless it's pulses like butter beans.
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I'm also someone who enjoys fresh vegetables but lives alone. Usually I can get round this by buying in small quantities and turning leftovers into soup or some kind of omelette. I rarely eat canned unless it's pulses like butter beans.
I find it's difficult buying in small quantities rather than in bulk but I am trying. Ffosse...your idea for turning leftovers into soup, is an excellent one...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top