Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 07:23 PM

The LM tomorrow.

Temps will be in the middle 70s.

How many will need medical attention?

But how many will die.

I hope none but but but.

Don't think it should be run with the temps forecast tomorrow
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 07:53 PM

Re: The LM tomorrow.

I suppose another way of looking at it Galty, is although it is for good causes, at least the competitors have a choice whether to run or not, unlike horses for example, being made to race regardless of intense heat, while carrying humans on their backs, and threatened with a whip if they slow down.

You perhaps don't agree with the comparison, but as I said, at least the runners can choose to run or not, and pull out if they feel unwell.
I do think some of the heavy costumes are a bit OTT though.
Isn't it supposed to be getting cooler tomorrow? I don't think it is going to be quite as hot tomorrow, so that should help them a bit more.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 08:27 PM

Running in 21 degrees C or 70 F should not be a problem for the marathon runners Galty, providing they take on water at all the drinks stations (which there are many on the London) and prevent dehydration. Also, there are very few fatalities on running events, and when you consider the number of runners that take part in races across the country each week compared to the number of fatalities, there are far worse hobbies that provide a greater threat to life than running.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 10:18 PM

They should be fine, galty. I've always been amazed at how many marathoners are from northern Africa and train in almost unbearable temperatures.

Here in Florida, from mid-June until the end of September I run 5-7 miles a day when the humidity is 85% or higher and within two degrees of 90 F, or 32.2 C. I actually like the way it feels, though it causes me to shiver miserably in most air conditioned spaces like restaurants.

Isn't interesting how we adapt?

That said, I've been prodding my brain, and asking my legs and lungs, and they report that at any temperature, a marathon is a - no go.

No matter who wins, everyone who runs marathons has overcome an incredible feat of body over mind.

Great story about Linden, the young American marathoner in Boston!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 10:28 PM

Apparently, about a 110, 000 people apply every year and only about 35,000 ere accepted

A teacher from our school is doing It!
Give a shout out if you see Lowri!
(Pronounced Low-ree not allow-ree)
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 10:29 PM

My daughter applied for the first time to run in this year’s London Marathon but didn’t get a place.
She was sent a London Marathon jacket instead!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 10:31 PM

I'm sure the professional runners will be fine but I think Galty was more concerned about the fun runners.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I suppose another way of looking at it Galty, is although it is for good causes, at least the competitors have a choice whether to run or not, unlike horses for example, being made to race regardless of intense heat, while carrying humans on their backs, and threatened with a whip if they slow down.

You perhaps don't agree with the comparison, but as I said, at least the runners can choose to run or not, and pull out if they feel unwell.
I do think some of the heavy costumes are a bit OTT though.
Isn't it supposed to be getting cooler tomorrow? I don't think it is going to be quite as hot tomorrow, so that should help them a bit more.
They have banned all the daft costumes this year due to the heat
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'm sure the professional runners will be fine but I think Galty was more concerned about the fun runners.
It's always easier for the fun runners Longdogs because they are doing it for fun and can have a walk if they want....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

22-04-2018, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
They have banned all the daft costumes this year due to the heat
No they haven't Missy, they have just recommended that people don't wear too heavy costumes, and they have told anyone who is wearing a costume it's alright to discard it on the course if they overheat....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top