Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 10:27 AM

Re: Do You Have A Fear Of Heights?

I have a terrible fear of heights

I'm so bad with heights that even bridges are a no no. We had to circumnavigate the M25 one time because I refused to come back across the bridge

I end up having to pay premium prices on the ferry so I can drive the car onto the lower deck rather then drive the ramp and I can get on and off the ferry

Boarding a plane , I either have to be first or last on so I don't get to have to stand on the stairs - I have to do it in one run

Don't even think about asking me to change a light bulb or reach a top cupboard, it's not happening

Many years ago when the children were small, there used to be a tethered helium ballon down by where the Milenium Wheel is now and of course the children wanted to do it and me being stupid said no problem. DH did ask how I would cope and I said not a problem, I'd sit on the bottom of the basket so I couldn't see. So on we get and up we went. And going up I was okish. When we got as high as we were going, and we were just there, in the sky, in a basket, swaying and spinning, the fear broke out and I was frozen to the spot, legs like jelly, holding on for dear life, too scared to even lower myself to sit. For 20 mins I was stuck like that, trying my best not to let the children see my fear. Even typing that has made me shakey and tearful, the memories of that fear are still as strong today as 25 years ago

I think it was that that made me as bad as I am today.

With the grandchildren, I'm not so foolish. I tell them outright that nanny can't do the slide with them, or the rides at the amusements etc because she doesn't like heights
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 11:00 AM

Nah not bothered about heights, went up to the viewing platform at the Eden project last year, on the chair ride on the Isle of Wight, no probs up ladders either, although I’ve never flown, ( in an aeroplane of course) , so I don’t know how I’d react to that.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 11:03 AM

Yes I have a fear of heights skiing was an ordeal for me.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 11:04 AM

I'm OK with heights that are safe. Glass floors (The Spinnaker, Portsmouth) balconies, bridges etc.

Put me on the face of a cliff, a high roof or a triple extension ladder leant against a gutter and it would be a different matter.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 11:08 AM

Not really that high but I was dared to go on the zip wire by my grandchildren, Granny usually responds to a dare.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Me on the zip wire.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	5780  
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 11:08 AM

I have a fear of heights a couple of years ago I went up Blackpool tower and I was in a right panicking and had to come down immediately.

Another time a friend bought us both a ticket to see Cats at the theatre and when we got there the seats were up in the balcony. It ruined the whole show and I can't remember a single thing of the show because I had terrible panic attacks and was going dizzy all the time, I kept thinking I was going to fall over the balcony. In the end I had to leave it was horrible.

The stalls is for me buggar the balcony.

I.m afraid of walking on piers, fire escape steps and bridges too, not sure why I panic on low bridges though? Oh and i.m petrified of flying high in the sky and I.m off to Spain in September!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 11:52 AM

Years ago heights didn't bother me but that all changed when we were on holiday one year with the children and decided to climb up to the top of Langstone Rock as we were told the view was amazing from the top. It wasn't too bad going up and not too high, there were rough cut out steps in the soil to climb for part of the way, then it was just hanging on the the shrubbery to pull yourself up the rest of the way.

Time to go back down ... oh dear, it looked so steep with nothing to catch hold of. Mr Mags went ahead with the children totally unaware that I was unable to move at the top. My legs just froze and I couldn't move them. He climbed back up to help me and couldn't understand why I couldn't move. In the end I had to grip hold of him around the neck and he slowly dragged me down to the bottom.

It didn't end there, I still couldn't move, fortunately there was a stone wall at the bottom and I had to sit there for about 45 minutes until the life came back into my legs.

Never again!

Name:	Landstone Rock DW.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	5781  
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 12:22 PM

This recent pic of my son gave me the idea for this thread... l feel ill looking at it. He’s never had any fear of heights, ever!

Name:	1ACA5945-1E68-4C88-9B02-EBF7F0BE2B89.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	5782  
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
This pic of my son gave me the idea for this thread... l feel ill looking at it. He’s never had an fear of heights ever!
Wow what a lovely view.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I am OK if it is a natural height - hills, mountains etc., are fine by me - but - I do not feel comfortable with man-made heights like tall buildings, high bridges and things.
Exactly the same for me ST. I can get in a cable car over mountains or trees but it's man made heights I hate. It's as though my brain can't comprehend how a heavy lump of concrete could be so high up.

And, if you wear glasses, I bet you are worried about them falling over the edge.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top