Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 11:37 AM

Why do people ...

... have to talk and eat in the theatre during the performance ?

I went to a matinee performance of 'The Importance of Being Ernest' last week - one of my favourite Oscar Wilde's - so was really looking forward to it.

The minute the lights went down, the five old dears in the row behind me started - chat, chat, chat - about Coronation Street. I turned and gave them my very best Paddington Bear 'Hard Look' - which worked for a while - then off they went again. This time accompanied by rustling - and munching - of crisps, licorice toffees and Werther's !
See - I even had to have the descriptions and the debate over who ate which - the crisps were 2 x Cheese/Onion, 1 x plain, 2 x Smokey bacon !

A second 'Hard Look' and a 'shhh' had no effect what so ever.

At the end of the performance I thanked them, politely, for spoiling it for me - which rendered them speechless - at last!

Hang it all - it was only two and half hours including intervals - surely the human body can do without food for that long and shouldn't good manners have stopped the chit chat ?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 11:39 AM

Re: Why do people ...

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
... have to talk and eat in the theatre during the performance ?

I went to a matinee performance of 'The Importance of Being Ernest' last week - one of my favourite Oscar Wilde's - so was really looking forward to it.

The minute the lights went down, the five old dears in the row behind me started - chat, chat, chat - about Coronation Street. I turned and gave them my very best Paddington Bear 'Hard Look' - which worked for a while - then off they went again. This time accompanied by rustling - and munching - of crisps, licorice toffees and Werther's !

A second 'Hard Look' and a 'shhh' had no effect what so ever.

At the end of the performance I thanked them, politely, for spoiling it for me - which rendered them speechless!

Hang it all - it was only two and half hours including intervals - surely the human body can do without food for that long and shouldn't good manners have stopped the chit chat ?
Presumably the old dears were bored by the performance, having said that it was impolite to eat and chat during it.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 11:42 AM

Definitely ST
That was so selfish and very rude of them.
Makes you wonder where the ushers were though
There is a big theatre not far from here. I couldn't see them letting that sort of thing happen there
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 11:43 AM

T, they didn't give the performance a chance. The chit chat began as soon as the curtain went up!

It was actually a good performance - Gwen Taylor as Lady Bracknell and Susan Penhaligon as Miss Prism.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 11:44 AM

I agree it's the same in the cinema
People come in laden with junk food .
And them yakking
Why didn't they just stay at home ?
Same on short flights
Why do people have to stuff their faces ?
Can't they read a book like wot I does?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

22-04-2018, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Definitely ST
That was so selfish and very rude of them.
Makes you wonder where the ushers were though
There is a big theatre not far from here. I couldn't see them letting that sort of thing happen there
The ushers seemed to go back out as soon as everyone was seated, Rhian.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 11:49 AM

Theatres and cinemas definitely aren't my scene, my husband likes them though.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

22-04-2018, 12:05 PM

I like cinema - but prefer live performances in the theatre - the atmosphere is great.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

22-04-2018, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I like cinema - but prefer live performances in the theatre - the atmosphere is great.
Whatever turns you on, live performances turn me off.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 12:12 PM

What was worse, years ago, was when people were allowed to smoke in theatres and cinemas. That coupled with noisy sweet wrappers and talking, ruined what should have been an enjoyable evening out.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top