Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2013, 01:05 PM

Re: More of my uncle Vivian's adventures.

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Indeed uncle Vivian has many strings to his bow, all the better to pull a few when you need them.
I was reminded of that old TV series when I read about his expertise with cloth, I wonder did Vivian write the scripts, "Never mind the quality, feel the width."
You've brought back memories there Jem - loved that show and David Kossoff ..... great
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2013, 05:50 PM

When my sister and brother and me were small, we stayed with uncle Vivian, a shockingly thoughtless thing to do. He lived on a houseboat in the stretch of tidal coastline, known as Southampton Water. There are TWO tides there due to the influence of the Isle of Wight. Many a time we had to be rescued when he took the bung out at low tide & forgot to replace it at high tide. Kind fellow house boat owners baled him out every time. His brother ,Garth Vulcan eventually bought the houseboat from uncle Vivian, towed it out to the Solent & sank it.

Uncle Vivian moved to a prefab. WE think this is where he developed Asbestosis. This was one of the major materials used in their construction, and long before their danger was known.

Milk was delivered by a horse drawn carriage. Uncle Vivian became very excited because the carriage always stopped by the grass verge and the horses always started eating the grass, thus stimulating their digestive system. Peristalsis being what it is, the end result was a pile of dung in the road
“Quick , scoop it up in this bucket” he begged.. That’ll give me the biggest kohl rabbi for miles.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2013, 06:32 PM

Hello Robert .......
Why would horse dung be given to a Rabbi - bit cruel - dont ya think
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2013, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Hello Robert .......
Why would horse dung be given to a Rabbi - bit cruel - dont ya think
It's a vegetable with knobs on it.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2013, 06:38 PM

I guess uncle Vivian just hadn't got the sea in his blood Robert, yeh gotta be cut out for it I believe.
Kohi Rabbi?, it that the name Cat Stevens took when he got religion?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

22-07-2013, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
It's a vegetable with knobs on it.
Oooooo-er .........Fancy that
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

22-07-2013, 08:52 PM

I fear I have mispelt the aforementioned vegetable chums.....

ex WIKI.
The name comes from the German Kohl ("cabbage") plus Rübe ~ Rabi (Swiss German variant) ("turnip"), because the swollen stem resembles the latter, hence its Austrian name Kohlrübe. Kohlrabi is a very commonly eaten vegetable in German speaking countries.

So there you have it! Cat Stevens became YUSUF ISLAM, but now goes by the shorter name simply YUSUF. He has also resumed his stage & recording artist status. BTW he is 2 weeks older than me!, JEM me thort you 'd like to know that.

PatsCG .. norty norty.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2013, 09:11 PM

Thanks for that info Robert.
I always liked Cat Stevens before he packed it all in and went all spiritual, same with the Beatles, well Harrison at one stage, bringing out all that weird music with the Sitar and hanging around with that beardy chap, who I knew was up to no good, and when my hero Lennon married the centre part of an egg, that was the end of the Beatles for me.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

22-07-2013, 09:29 PM

Uncle Vivian, liked his tipple and had a fine wine cellar, his last import was the Henri Giraud Champagne, Champagne Blend, Brut, White at a cost of a mere £70 per bottle. Only 6500 were bottled.
Sad to say he drank & drove his Rolls Royce when he was over the limit. E avoided arrest for many years by adopting the cunningly simple device of driving with a chauffeurs cap on, the ruse worked until one day he was stopped by a police patrol who thought he was driving too slow. HE didn’t help matters by saying to the copper in a hushed voice.
“Course, you’ve got to go slow when you’ve had a few” adding a staged wink for effect.
Thereafter he employed a driver , Max Drax who was in his employ until uncle Vivian’s untimely death. Bless him. Also serving him were his butler Steve Stevens & his gardener Ross Moss. Already retired were his P.A. Ava Nuther & secretary Makit Alargeone
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

22-07-2013, 09:49 PM

How proud he looks too.

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top