Join for free
Page 42 of 239 « First < 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 92 142 > Last »
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2015, 09:48 AM

Re: The Pages of Punch

1935: Millinery For The Criminal Classes

Whoever designed this hat had not considered the wider implications of its shape.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2015, 08:47 AM

1935: You Can Never Satisfy Some People

They are both wearing heavy outdoor clothing whereas the nurse isn’t. Would they be TB sufferers? There was a lot of it about in the 1930s. Fresh air was seen as the principal cure.
Mr Magoo
London

17-10-2015, 09:52 AM

1935: Not Knowing What to Do at the Seaside

This is just my opinion but I suggest that this cartoon is about people who don’t know how to enjoy a trip to the seaside. This would be in contrast to the readers of Punch who are well versed on this subject. The boy’s father has no better idea about benefiting from the visit. (To be fair to the lad a miniature bucket and spade are of no use on a shingle beach.)
Mr Magoo
London

18-10-2015, 09:44 AM

1935: The Extremely Well Rewarded Poet

I instantly recognised this as a tongue in cheek suggestion that some poets become very rich from their poems. I then felt encouraged in this interpretation when I spoke out loud the name of this mythical Asiatic country.
Mr Magoo
London

19-10-2015, 09:54 AM

1935: Give Peace a Chance

This drawing is of some historical significance. Occasionally Punch showed a serious cartoon which was intended to reflect the mood of a large proportion of the population. This certainly belongs to that category.

Hitler had already been in power for more than two years. As yet he had not threatened any of Germany’s neighbours but his bellicose speeches and rapid rearmament caused people to realise that another war had become a real possibility. With bitter memories of the previous conflict many people in Britain clung to the hope that it would be possible to avert such a catastrophe.

This cartoon accurately reflects how most people felt at the time. A meeting of former enemies was seen as an excellent way of emphasising the unwillingness of both populations to renew the slaughter.

Only a few years later such sentiments were dismissed as appeasement. For the most part this was not the case. It was simply a deep reluctance to undergo again the well-remembered horrors.

The cartoonist stressed how similar both lots of veterans by omitting uniforms and flags. This was not the case when the British old soldiers actually arrived in Berlin. Goebbels saw to it that that the swastika was extremely well in evidence and he tried to demonstrate this as a British endorsement of the Nazi regime.

Eventually even Chamberlain had to admit that war was unavoidable and no doubt regretted that Britain’s reluctance to rearm had put the country in an extremely dangerous situation. One of the objections to rearming had been that we didn’t want to provoke Hitler!

It is of course true that there were genuine Nazi sympathisers in pre war Britain but they were a small minority though they did include the then Prince of Wales.
Mr Magoo
London

20-10-2015, 09:55 AM

1935: Stroppy Schoolgirl

Miss Jones is having a bad day. Looking at her I suspect that none of them are that good.
Mr Magoo
London

21-10-2015, 09:48 AM

1935: ‘The White Man’s Burden’

It is not often that the British Empire gets noticed in the pages of Punch in 1935. This cartoon is a typical example of those that did appear. Utterly politically incorrect today this kind of thing was considered quite acceptable at the time. Here the ‘natives’ are shown to be simple but well meaning. The man behind the desk is (of course) white and trying to cope. In fact, he doesn’t seem to be making too good a job of it.

I imagine that the drawing is based on actual colonial experience. I have just a slight hesitation on this point because I don’t see a ceiling fan in the office – something that was standard during my days in Singapore just 20 years after this cartoon appeared. On the other hand, this scene may be taking place at high altitude in which case ceiling fans aren’t needed.
Mr Magoo
London

23-10-2015, 10:08 AM

1935: Mistaken Identity

It seems that the tramp on the right had mistaken the well-off hiker on the left as another ‘gentleman of the road.’ Looking at the hiker it is quite possible to see how the mistake was made.
Mr Magoo
London

24-10-2015, 09:50 AM

1935: A Topical Cartoon

Tabloid headline writers don’t recognise the difference between today’s weather and the underlying trend. This cartoon reminds us that such a basic situation is not new today.
Mr Magoo
London

25-10-2015, 10:01 AM

1935: Poor George

His mother in law is only concerned with her and daughter’s plight. No doubt she thinks he has got stuck on purpose.

Page 42 of 239 « First < 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 92 142 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top