Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 09:34 AM

Camelias

I've had three camelias for many years now. Suddenly this year 2 have gloriously flowered. Have I been doing something wrong and if so what could I have done right this year?! I just leave them to grow. Does anyone have a similar problem?

EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 09:39 AM

Re: Camelias

Have you been feeding them this year but not previously? They do like an Ericaceous liquid feed now and then. Especially early in the growing season before the buds start to form. More important if they are in containers too.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 09:44 AM

Camelias are beautiful
I don't have one but my neighbour does and she keeps it wrapped up all winter. I notice it has lots of flowers this year for the first time so maybe it is something to do with the weather conditions.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 09:48 AM

May I enquire if over the past 2 years whether the plants were exhibiting any other malaise. Buds dropping off, yellowing of leaves, mould, aphids?

THe RHS site is a good place to look for CAMELIAS, & probs
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 10:02 AM

Ive just planted a Camelia, I know it's ridiculous but it cost me £64! It is big though and it's covered in massive buds. I wanted a plant that would fill a spot where I previously had an acer.. Camelias are so slow, growing I decided to cheat a bit and buy one that fills the space reasonably with still a bit of room for it to get bigger. Looks the business
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Have you been feeding them this year but not previously? They do like an Ericaceous liquid feed now and then. Especially early in the growing season before the buds start to form. More important if they are in containers too.

Quite right EZ.

I have 5 Camelias and every spring I change the top 2 or 3 " of compost for new stuff (Ericaceous) then feed them.
They are then fed with a liquid ericaceous about once a month from March - Sept time.

Annie you must never let them dry out after flowering either, but only ever use rain water on them. After flowering they start building their buds for the next spring, and if you don't water them the buds will not swell and be dry and drop off instead.

One of mine is exactly the same one in your photo, a friend gave it to me for my birthday a few years ago. It's very pretty isn't it.

BTW, I treat my Rhodedendrons the same as the Camelias.
Ericaceous and feeding regularly through spring and summer.

I do treat them for the wretched Vine Weaval spring and autumn too.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
No, but the most glorious flowers are on the one right next to my new veg patch (as of last year). So they may have had the benefits of all the compost. Perhaps that's where I've been going wrong just to plonk them in the ground and leave nature to the rest.

I will definitely try the liquid feed going forward. So lovely to see such beautiful flowers after the long winter.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

20-03-2017, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Camelias are beautiful
I don't have one but my neighbour does and she keeps it wrapped up all winter. I notice it has lots of flowers this year for the first time so maybe it is something to do with the weather conditions.

I thought it might be the milder weather. Even the geranium on my front porch has started to bloom. Now that has to be far too early.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 10:06 AM

I often find pages on facebook dedicated to different plants and growing problems
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

20-03-2017, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Annie you must never let them dry out after flowering either, but only water with rain water. After flowering they start building their buds for the next spring, and if you don't water them the buds will not swell and be dry and drop off instead.

I wonder if that's what's up with my third plant. The flower buds always come up but they just go brown and don't open. It's such a shame as it's nearest to the house. The one that's loveliest is at the back of the garden which sometimes gets steeped in rainwater.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top