Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 07:45 AM

Re: Dandelions.

Hi

I keep my vegetables and herbs chemical free.

My flower garden and lawns are a testament to the power of chemicals.

Deep rooted problem perennials I do not waste time and energy digging them out.

I mix some serious weed killers with wallpaper paste and then brush it on the leaves.

Problem solved with minimal effort.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Ermm. ..I mowed it instead!
Did i do wrong?
'fraid so Rhian. You have to dig deep and remove every bit of that long pointed tap root or they will just reappear after a very short time. If you can't be asked, at least pick off the heads as they appear and definitely before they seed and the wind blows the seeds around the garden. Spot weedkillers do well but I don't like using any weedkillers if they can be avoided.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 08:05 AM

Where do you lot live? I have a very large garden but not a single dandelion growing...just a very large number of bluebells and whitebells.
I have noticed though, that I have 4 small damson trees , that I never planted.....I suspect the birds are taking fruit, from my larger damson tree, and dropping them!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 09:10 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My dear departed grampy was a keen gardener & was ahead of his time by mixing flowers and vegetables,now de rigueur.

Not stopping at mixing up his plants he drew no distinction between cultivated & native plants and flowers , weeds, to many .
A weed to him was simply a plant growing in the wrong place

Oddly enough, a few years back wse had a student from uganda staying with us,he was delighted with all the lovely yellow flowers nearby....... Dandelions, of course..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 09:11 AM

I think I drive my husband mad calling out don't mow the dandelions and daisies, a lawn looks so pretty with the flowers and so boring plain green.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 09:15 AM

If anyone wants to read this lengthy article, our Dandelions can be useful for lots of things.

https://www.thespruce.com/dandelion-herb-1762283
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Where do you lot live? I have a very large garden but not a single dandelion growing...just a very large number of bluebells and whitebells.
I have noticed though, that I have 4 small damson trees , that I never planted.....I suspect the birds are taking fruit, from my larger damson tree, and dropping them!

My late FIL was passionate about bluebells, their eradication from his orchard as was. mystifyingly he was forever throwing the bulbs onto his compost heap, which they loved. Apart from that he was quite normal.

I wonder what this phobia is called?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I was with you until the marmite bit....

Marmite is but a yeast extract, it helps fermentation - being fed by the sugar.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
My late FIL was passionate about bluebells, their eradication from his orchard as was. mystifyingly he was forever throwing the bulbs onto his compost heap, which they loved. Apart from that he was quite normal.

I wonder what this phobia is called?
I get a great sense of joy when I see the spring bulbs burst into flower, but I have never planted any blue or whitebells.. they were already in the garden when I bought the house, over 30 years ago! There are more and more of them each year, so I just leave them alone and enjoy their flowers, when they decide to bloom.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
If anyone wants to read this lengthy article, our Dandelions can be useful for lots of things.

https://www.thespruce.com/dandelion-herb-1762283
Yes these are useful plants for many reasons, one old name for them is Pissabeds for their Diuretic effect. I like to see them and there does seem to be a lot around at the moment.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top