Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 08:25 PM

Re: My best mate has prostate cancer.

Epidural has been mentioned, but it would mean that the patent must not move whilst the operation was being done.
I don't suppose they would strap him down.
When I had my operation, not only did they remove the prostate, but another bit was also removed that I was told it would cause problems if left. I can't remember what bit it was.
I was fortunate that the cancer was only confined to the prostate.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 09:37 PM

I have had an enlarged prostate for a couple of years now. Although the situation appears to be pretty stable and controlled by drugs, I cannot help being concerned about the possibility of cancer.

The thing is that the blood test (which I am about to have) is well known to have a high incidence of false negatives and false positives.

I did ask the doctor, when I last visited recently, whether she might do a quick internal examination (per rectum), as this is a quick and uncomplicated means of feeling the surface of the prostate to see if there are any irregular areas. These could be an indication of a tumour. Unfortunately, as she was a female muslim, I was refused!

A biopsy is an alternative, but is unpleasant and quite possibly painful. Even that is a bit hit and miss: if a sample is taken from what proves to be an area of tumour, good, but if samples taken are not from a tumorous area, it would suggest that there is no cancer.

To say that this is the most common of male cancers, I am surprised that there is no better means of diagnosing the condition.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2015, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have had an enlarged prostate for a couple of years now. Although the situation appears to be pretty stable and controlled by drugs, I cannot help being concerned about the possibility of cancer.

The thing is that the blood test (which I am about to have) is well known to have a high incidence of false negatives and false positives.

I did ask the doctor, when I last visited recently, whether she might do a quick internal examination (per rectum), as this is a quick and uncomplicated means of feeling the surface of the prostate to see if there are any irregular areas. These could be an indication of a tumour. Unfortunately, as she was a female muslim, I was refused!

Could you not ask to see a male doctor, JBR ? You should not take chances with your health.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2015, 12:53 PM

Yes, I shall do so after the blood test has been done.
I have to say that I have some doubts about this first doctor I saw.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top