Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 06:29 PM

Re: Badger Sett?

Thank you all for your replies, i'm now thinking it might be a Rat. The hole is about 1 1/2 ft in width, but quite deep. It must be an animal because we cover it up at night with earth and the next day its open again.

We live opposite a Common, where we have, Deers, Badgers, Foxes, Squirrels, Snakes everything.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 07:30 PM

Don't think it's big enough for badgers - they tend to have major earth works. Could be foxes though, 1 1/2 ft. is a big big for rats!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 08:54 PM

Yes, too big for rats. Have a look around for little round rabbit droppings, I think foxes are like small dog poos but darker and badgers have seeds in them.I could be wrong. If you send photos to Springwatch on Fb they'll tell you.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Not the beginnings of a sinkhole is it?
Next door but one but one had a hole appear just like that then the next day it was 10 feet across and 6 feet deep.

There used to be a quarry years ago at the back of our gardens years ago apparently. stevmk2
That's it...scare the bejaysus out of her!

I agree with Morticia, I'd want to see too. Set up an outdoor cam, yours for about £80 from Maplin!
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 10:03 PM

Could be a big rat.
No need to go to BBC Spring watch, we will sort it out on here.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetsue ->
Don't think it's big enough for badgers - they tend to have major earth works. Could be foxes though, 1 1/2 ft. is a big big for rats!

That's what I was thinking Sue, foxes. They are very pongy, can you smell anything?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Thank you all for your replies, i'm now thinking it might be a Rat. The hole is about 1 1/2 ft in width, but quite deep. It must be an animal because we cover it up at night with earth and the next day its open again.

We live opposite a Common, where we have, Deers, Badgers, Foxes, Squirrels, Snakes everything.
Are you sure about the size Susie I thought those were pebbles not boulders

If you look at the hole it is 'flat' badgers, foxes, rabbits scrape out the holes so they are generally dish shaped.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 07:02 AM

moles?
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 08:56 AM

Looking again at the picture and the size you say, I would now say fox.
Is there any debris from and around the hole?
Is there any black poo near the hole?
Where I walk with my dog each morning which is a sports field that I have access to from my back garden, there is a disused sand pit. There are holes there that the foxes have dug. Nothing in them, but lots of fox poo in the area.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 12:02 PM

Hi Emjay, Its too small for Badgers, we have had Badgers digging 3ft holes under a fence to get in, there is no Foxes Poo or any droppings at all. I have just looked on the Internet and saw a photo similar to mine, and it was a Hedgehog which is very possible, as we already have a resident Hedgehog who has dug a hole under our Garden Shed and sleeps there, so it could be possible its another one.

I will try and take a closer photo of it today.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top