Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2012, 09:28 AM

Re: Euro 2012

Hu99, if you thought that was an entertaining game, you need to get out more. No I'm not a Ronaldo fan, but I do appreciate his talents. The three commentators I mentioned, I would gladly send them over tomorrow, so you could suffer like we do.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

28-06-2012, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
Just sat through the Spain/Portugal semi, which went to penalties. Not too much to get excited about, both teams seemed to cancel each other out. I hope tomorrows is a little bit more interesting, possibly with a goal or two if thats possible. I just wish the BBC would get rid of them three bores, Hanson, Shearer and Dixon. Same old cliches flying about, and if you're looking for the most humourless person about, then Hanson is your man. Much as I dislike Adrian Chiles, I'll be watching the final on ITV, hoping Martinez , Strachan and Southgate are in the chair.
John, I am not sure what was worse the bore of last nights match or as you say having to listen to the dross dished out by the BBC pundits and commentators. Like you, I will watch the final on ITV if they have it.

I had thought with all the cuts the BBC said they making some of these people would have been given a red card long before now.

I understood that they were going to save some of our money on this series by Lord Snooty, Lineker and his pals Hansen, Shearer and Dixon doing whatever they do at the white elephant also known as Media City. So they did not get too lonely or frightened in Salford, Harry Redknapp, Jurgen Klinsmann, Clarence Seedorf and David James were enlisted for moral support.

Heavens to betsy, the aforementioned fatuous foursome turn up later at a studio in Kiev or some such place, no doubt ready for yet another jolly boys outing at our expense.

Hold on a mo, it gets worse, did we really need the likes of Dan Walker, Jake Humphrey and Gabby Logan swanning about contributing nothing relevant. Is it essential to have so many commentators such as Guy Mowbray, Steve Wilson, Jonathan Pearce and Simon Brotherton and Mark Lawrenson and Martin Keown as assistants.

Why do we need these 'summarisers' at all?, Keown just comes out with nuggets like "it's a foul....Isn't it" and while Lawrenson has a footballing brain, he is so depressing to listen to that he would never get a job at the Samaritans.

Adrian Chiles is the weak card in the ITV pack but I can put up with his inane chatter whilst listening to the contributions from Roy Keane, Jamie Carragher and Gordon Strachan. Like these guys or not at least you get it straight and realistic. Gareth Southgate talks a lot of sense and I have a great deal of time for Roberto Martinez.
That said, I am not a great admirer of Andy Townsend or the blustering Clive Tyldesley. Gabriel Clarke as the roving reporter must have a death wish given the questions he sometimes asks.

On Balance though, ITV every time.

As to last nights disappointment, the commentator said "playing against Spain was like the death of a thousand cuts", It looked to me at any rate, remarkably like the Dance of the Seven Veils in reverse, No execution after many promises.

Hope for better tonight.

Onward.
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2012, 06:27 PM

Well I never thought the time would arrive when I would turn off the football match early in the second half but that is exactly what happened last night! Both my wife and self had simply had enough of the boredom of watching the Iberian neighbours trying to do a simple thing like score a goal, football is the biggest loser because this negative approach by ultra cautious coaches and as for some of these clowns who are called co-commentators or (tongue in cheek) pundits, well words fail me and so it was that I watched a decent film and then found out about the result of that pathetic match this morning when I got up.
Lo and behold, another exciting penalty shoot out, now there's a surprise!
It is to be hoped that tonight's encounter between Italy and Germany has at least some sort of action for the footballing fraternity to feel positive about, I am taking a chance and going to have a look at it on the off chance that last night's
debacle was just a one off. One can only hope.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2012, 07:09 PM

Oh good grief is that the time, sorry will have to go and see if the Germans can give us a proper game of football as I dont think I have seen on yet in this euro thingy.Tarah
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2012, 08:57 AM

Italy v. Germany. Ah, crap!
Was it just me or did Pirlo handle the ball during his goal line save in the 7th minute?
Can't fault Balotelli's finishing on the second goal, even Manuel Neuer applauded him.
I don't think I'll bother to watch the final on Sunday, maybe I'll take the dog for a walk.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2012, 10:22 AM

Ah! now that was more like it! Well done Italy, shocked the Germans with two great goals by you know who. The way Italy are playing, you would more than fancy them against Spain. Hard to believe Pirlo is 33, as he seemed to be everywhere, putting in a real shift for his country.Great to hear the thoughts of Vialli, the Beeb should definitely keep him for the final. Fat chance, it'll be the usual suspects. Klinsmann looked shellshocked, as Corporal Jones used to say,"they don't like it up em!" On a slightly different note, I'm pleased to see that "Circus Beckham" has been put where it belongs, out in the place Sponsors go to die. Good on Stuart Pearce if it was his decision, a little bit of credibility has just crept back into proceedings
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2012, 11:57 AM

At last, a decent game of football! Well done to Italy for the way they took the game to the much fancied Germans who once more showed uncertainty when defending and Balotelli could so easily have had a hat trick before half time!
I really did enjoy this match which was notable for the absence of ultra cautious probing and stifling mid field tactics, a much more open encounter and maybe the best game of the tournament so far, even the Germans managed to score in the end It is to be hoped that the final itself will prove to be as free flowing, it should be the perfect stage for players of the calibre of Pirlo and his like.
I agree about Vialli, he has always been such a likeable character also about the omission of Beckham from team GB, why not? Good decision whoever made it.
I somehow have a sneaking feeling that Spain will retain their title on Sunday evening (but I am not betting on it)
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

29-06-2012, 01:08 PM

An enjoyable match particularly the first half in which the Azzurri dominated, the usually competant German defensive machine had no answer and looked lost. Antonio Cassano tore lumps out of their resolve whilst the peerless Pirlo once again masterminded everything.

The second half was better for the Germans but in all honesty Italy could and should have put them out of their misery by the two third mark.
Have to agree about Gianluca Vialli, nice to see and hear he has the same enthusiasm as back in his Chelsea days. Poor old Jurgen, his face was a picture, can I say one Sauerkraut, on here?, guess I just did.

Could be an interesting final but might be a total bore let's hope not.

As to the Beckham nonsense, I must be honest here, when I heard that Pearce went to Los Angeles to watch Beckham play I thought someone at the FA, Lord Coe or perhaps both entities were jerking the strings and that he would automatically be afforded every conceivable position.

How refreshing to now read that Pearce has honoured his commitment to do the best he can to field our strongest available squad and that thankfully is without brand Beckham. At least Stuart is trying to win something for GB and he does not deserve all the furore being whipped up by media prats like Lineker and Shearer(again) and the so called sporting Journalists.

It is all a bit sad really, a bit like most of Beckham's appearances for England over the last few, nearly ten years.

Hopefully this hideous soap opera can be put to bed and Dave can in due time retire quietly to his home in the states, after he has opened the games, carried the flag, lit the flame and served the teas.

Sorry to say I cannot help but think Stuart may have blown any chance of further advancement within the FA whilst the royal favourites Becks and Co might well console themselves with yet another manilla envelope containing details of the next gong.

Onward.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2012, 09:45 PM

what an amazing sight here, fireworks filling the sky, everyone out shouting and cheering, brilliant.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2012, 09:54 PM

Well done Spain

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top