Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2016, 11:19 PM

Re: Flipping Cheek

They ask £3 a month because ( I think ) it is the lowest amount that is worthwhile on a direct debit basis .
Obviously if they have a direct debit they have a regular coming in.
£3 a month is only £36 a year.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2016, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
It gets on my nerves too being dictated to. All the adverts on TV want "just £3 a month". Errr why £3?

I must admit that is another thing I don't much like, when they try to get you to sign up for direct debits for ongoing payments.

The RSPCA did this to my Mum once, 2 of them knocked at her door and wanted her to sign up.
Mum was around 88 at the time and almost totally deaf, and they really pestered her to do a direct debit. I was furious.

Also, a friend of mine has donated regularly to the RSPCA for many years, but even that is not enough for them.
They are constantly phoning her to try and talk her into increasing her direct debits!!
She has told them if they phone her any more she will stop the payments altogether.
Dreadful way of going on.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2016, 11:24 PM

I give to the Sally Army when they're collecting in supermarkets and such places but I draw the line at psychological blackmail such as I had in yesterday's post. It was an envelope full of Christmas cards for me to purchase (or not thus laying the way for a guilt trip). Needless to say, it went straight into the green recycling bin.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2016, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
I just watched an advert for The Salvation Army they were asking people to donate £19 whatever happened to give what you can. They are not the only one's i have seen some charities asking people to give even more!!
I do not mind giving to charities but i certainly will not be dictated in how much to give i think it is a flipping cheek!
That is the same tactic as all charities use now by suggesting an odd figure but you can still give what you like, all charities I subscribe to are also trying to get monthly contributions rather than a larger one-off payment, a move I always refuse.

Personally I never subscribe to any religious organisation because it only encourages them and I favour overseas charities over national ones (with the exception of The Smith Family and the Police Boys Club). Even our poorest are wealthy compared to many in the world.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I give to the Sally Army when they're collecting in supermarkets and such places but I draw the line at psychological blackmail such as I had in yesterday's post. It was an envelope full of Christmas cards for me to purchase (or not thus laying the way for a guilt trip). Needless to say, it went straight into the green recycling bin.
Yer daft ha'p'orth. Ah'd ave used t'cards!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I always collect and use the cards, the pens and the return address stickers they send to encourage you to give. They come in very handy and I don't feel in the slightest bit guilty about it.
bridget
melbourne, australia
bridget is female 

04-12-2016, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That is the same tactic as all charities use now by suggesting an odd figure but you can still give what you like, all charities I subscribe to are also trying to get monthly contributions rather than a larger one-off payment, a move I always refuse.

Personally I never subscribe to any religious organisation because it only encourages them and I favour overseas charities over national ones (with the exception of The Smith Family and the Police Boys Club). Even our poorest are wealthy compared to many in the world.
I'll do direct debit to Amnesty and MSF. (it's all Tax deductible )
I did sign up to Red Cross until I discovered that many of the people signing you up are employed by an agency..that take the first $500!!! of your direct debits and then pass your donation on to Red Cross. Beware, there are many big charities turning toward this type of collection.

"..In the following weeks he could be dressed up in the lurid green of Oxfam, carrying a badge for the doctors of Medecins Sans Frontieres or wielding pamphlets on eye disease for the Fred Hollows Foundation.

But he is not a serial volunteer for all these charities. Chance are, he isn't even a member.

In fact, he is privately employed by a marketing company, Cornucopia Consultancy. And for each person he signs on to give to charity, Cornucopia takes a cut - a big cut, up to 95 per cent of the total donation collected in the first year. But the longer a donor stays on, the greater the return to the charity."
http://www.smh.com.au/national/payin...1025-hepx.html
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 09:42 AM

I give to UNICEF only because I have a friend who was employed by them and she donated her salary back to them which I thought was very noble. Granted financially she was in a position to be able to do that, she was confident in the way they spent money donated so I donate to them too.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 08:10 PM

It makes me laugh these charities that send an envelope with cards in, or pens, and then ask for donations. On Saturday it was the turn of The Red Cross. This time it was a card, a book mark and two beer mats.

Surely it must costs these charities to get the postman to deliver the stuff, not to mention the making of the cards, book marks, beer mats and purchase of the pens.

Madness.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2016, 08:23 AM

I use the pens if they are any good and throw the rest in the recycling bag.
No more charities for me.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top