Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2016, 12:49 AM

Have things changed, or is it me?

I went into the next town on Wednesday because I wanted something from the Holland & Barrett there.
When I was in the big shopping centre, I was a little saddened at how it is changing.

The indoor seats dotted around were mostly full of down and outs or drunks, presumably because it was a rotten cold, wet day. It never used to be like that.
The shops were full of people pushing and shoving and cursing at having to wait to be served.
Some of the shopkeepers looked harassed and not happy in their jobs anymore.

In Boots, there were a scruffy couple wandering around, being rather loud and silly. The shop assistant watched them as the girl hung around the expensive perfumes, until they eventually moved on. The assistant told me afterwards that the girl was about to shoplift some perfume.
I saw the same dubious couple in another shop 10 minutes later, again acting highly suspiciously.

I always think twice nowadays about who gets in the lifts with me. I never used to worry. And I find I don't feel entirely safe anymore in the dimly lit underground cap park.

Is it me? Why do I feel more vulnerable of late?
What is it like in any larger town near you nowadays, has it changed? Do you feel safe when alone?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2016, 12:56 AM

Re: Have things changed, or is it me?

Oh Mups, why worry? It's a sign of the times... that's all!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2016, 01:01 AM

What is it like in any larger town near you nowadays, has it changed? Do you feel safe when alone?
I don't go these days Mups, I stick to two small towns. The noise and people rushing around is too much for me now.
I feel safer in countryside with the sheep and cows
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2016, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I went into the next town on Wednesday because I wanted something from the Holland & Barrett there.
When I was in the big shopping centre, I was a little saddened at how it is changing.

The indoor seats dotted around were mostly full of down and outs or drunks, presumably because it was a rotten cold, wet day. It never used to be like that.
The shops were full of people pushing and shoving and cursing at having to wait to be served.
Some of the shopkeepers looked harassed and not happy in their jobs anymore.

In Boots, there were a scruffy couple wandering around, being rather loud and silly. The shop assistant watched them as the girl hung around the expensive perfumes, until they eventually moved on. The assistant told me afterwards that the girl was about to shoplift some perfume.
I saw the same dubious couple in another shop 10 minutes later, again acting highly suspiciously.

I always think twice nowadays about who gets in the lifts with me. I never used to worry. And I find I don't feel entirely safe anymore in the dimly lit underground cap park.

Is it me? Why do I feel more vulnerable of late?
of course things have changed it's become a more rotten, dangerous world with the have more on top with more and the have nots on the bottom wanting more and we oldies are all in the middle! carry a spray can I say
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2016, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
of course things have changed it's become a more rotten, dangerous world with the have more on top with more and the have nots on the bottom wanting more and we oldies are all in the middle! carry a spray can I say

....gumbud, do we say all that cos we are old? Didn't our previous generation say the same about us?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2016, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Oh Mups, why worry? It's a sign of the times... that's all!

Yes, I know Art. But just sometimes it just unnerves me a wee bit.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

25-11-2016, 01:18 AM

Yes, I know Art. But just sometimes it unnerves me a wee bit.
Mups, In what way? Try not to get paranoid about it...
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2016, 01:20 AM

I may be naive ...
But I still hold true to the belief that all humans are good in the core
If not then it's because of situations beyond anyone's control
And therefore not something we should worry about
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

25-11-2016, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Mups, In what way? Try not to get paranoid about it...

Can't explain it Art, but lifts and half lit car parks give me the creeps. I hope I'm not paranoid, perhaps I read the local papers too much and see what happens.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

25-11-2016, 01:27 AM

Can't explain it Art, but lifts and half lit car parks give me the creeps. I hope I'm not paranoid, perhaps I read the local papers too much and see what happens.
Mups, It's all in your head! Be cautious but not paranoid as it will drive you mad!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top