Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2016, 03:14 PM

No wonder the NHS is crippled - locums get paid a staggering £183,000 a year

..It makes you wonder how much the consultants they are stepping in for get paid

Wales' top-earning locum doctor was paid £183,000 in 2015-16, according to new figures.

Aneurin Bevan University Health Board had the highest and second highest-paid locum - at £159,000, BBC Wales learned via a Freedom of Information request.

The total spend on non-permanent workers by the trusts and health boards that responded rose from £64m to £137m (a 114% increase) since 2013-14.

British Medical Association Cymru said better planning was "urgently needed".
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-38129193
bridget
melbourne, australia
bridget is female 

04-12-2016, 05:36 AM

Re: No wonder the NHS is crippled - locums get paid a staggering £183,000 a year

Is that a set Gross Salary or does it include overtime?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 07:19 AM

Re: No wonder the NHS is crippled - locums get paid a staggering £183,000 a year

No doubt many of the NHS managers get more than that, which really is a scandal!
I would say though, that of the many reasons that the NHS is struggling, one is the amount of procedures being offered which are not threatening to life such as IVF, and another is the sheer pressure of treating 3 million extra people who have entered the country in the last decade.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 09:08 AM

As long as they Re-Spend it, and don't keep it under the Trolley in a series of Bed Pans.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
No doubt many of the NHS managers get more than that, which really is a scandal!
I would say though, that of the many reasons that the NHS is struggling, one is the amount of procedures being offered which are not threatening to life such as IVF, and another is the sheer pressure of treating 3 million extra people who have entered the country in the last decade.
You forgot the elderly, increasing in number every year.

Maybe we should cap that number or cut out their care too?

The reason the NHS is struggling is because no country can afford to support the care of the people thru taxation alone.

That is why no other country copies the model.
bridget
melbourne, australia
bridget is female 

04-12-2016, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Flicker ->

The reason the NHS is struggling is because no country can afford to support the care of the people thru taxation alone.

??? what do you mean. Heaps of countries including OZ have a similar NHS..

My considerable experience of the UK NHS has been excellent.

Has it disintegrated in the last 14 years ?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 11:25 AM

I merely quoted a couple of examples and I'm sure we could all think of many more but yes, treatments really need to be prioritised because there will never be enough money to satisfy every need without us bankrupting the country trying to do so. The sad fact is that some desirable but otherwise non essential treatments will have to be financed privately and many people already do that which is all to the good in my opinion.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 11:47 AM

Ah but the elderly have paid in and are entitled to treatment.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 12:20 PM

Barry wrote: (his list of those he considers unworthy of treatment)

IVF, and another is the sheer pressure of treating 3 million extra people who have entered the country in the last decade

Have they not also paid in? Or are you now saying that those who have lived in the UK and paid taxes for ten years are not worthy of health care?

Or those who were born in the UK and cannot have children are also not worthy?
Flicker
France

04-12-2016, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by bridget ->
??? what do you mean. Heaps of countries including OZ have a similar NHS..

My considerable experience of the UK NHS has been excellent.

Has it disintegrated in the last 14 years ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Australia

Yep similar tho I note a warning that it may not be affordable by 2025.

I have no idea if the HNS care has deteriorated. I am one of the lucky ones who hardly had to use it when I lived there.

But ISTM that there is always some crisis or other in some parts of it which could be addressed by initiating a complete overhaul of the way it is funded.

The current send on the system is almost 120 BILLION pounds per year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top