Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 03:57 PM

Re: Plastics and the Oceans

Originally Posted by SallyS ->
The government could do a lot to help the banning of plastic by making it unlawful to wrap so much food in it. We don’t need fruit wrapped in plastic for example, meat can be wrapped in biodegradable bags as our local butcher does. Milk can be returned to glass bottles etc etc it’s not rocket science.
There's a lot of foreign aid money going to these countries. Maybe it's time to say, 'clean up or lose out until you do ' ?
There seems to be so many organisations in the world, geared to environmental issues and being subscribed to by donations from the public and yet nothing seems to change.
Water Aid being one that continues to focus on clean water and good sanitation. ... nothing changes so far as I can see in many countries !

Sport relief coming up on Friday. Let's see where they intend to deliver... probably the same places ! Drip feed into the coffers of corrupt Governments and NGO's .
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 10:21 AM

There are plants and organisations processing plastics waste. I have seen roof tiles, walls built from plastics bottles, carrier bags recycled and so on. All via U tube.
SallyS
South East, UK
SallyS is female  SallyS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
There are plants and organisations processing plastics waste. I have seen roof tiles, walls built from plastics bottles, carrier bags recycled and so on. All via U tube.
It’s a small step in the right direction- we have throws made from recycled plastic.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 01:30 PM

Yes, I see there are some brilliant ideas, but the plastic is not going away, just being recycled for another day. My opinion is that we should stop producing plastics altogether .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 02:12 PM

I agree .
Went for a walk today in the country and down a lovely byway miles from anyway found -fly tipping - load s of plastic .
Why can't people take it to the tip ?
Medea
East Sussex
Medea is female 

22-03-2018, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Yes, I see there are some brilliant ideas, but the plastic is not going away, just being recycled for another day. My opinion is that we should stop producing plastics altogether .
Exactly Puddle Duck - stop blaming the consumer and start at the producers of plastic. Nearly everything has plastic in it from our cars to TV's etc. This cannot be helped but what can be helped is plastic packaging, plastic bottles, soap and hair products, plastic bags etc. Iceland (he shop) has already started producing non plastic packaging including a type of cling film not made from plastic at all.

If the stuff is not produced there would not be a problem of getting rid of it.
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 05:01 PM

I've been to Asda this afternoon and bought coffee-mate. Not real coffee-mate, Asda own equivalent.. It normally comes in a cardboard box and foil container inside. Now today they've changed to a plastic jar.
Every week we read more and more of the dangers of plastic, and the supermarkets promise to cut down on using it, and here we have Asda starting to use it where, they didn't before.
When i got home i phoned to complain and asked if they could change back again to the cardboard box.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2018, 04:04 AM

It's a multi billion pound industry. The answer is to get them to adapt and make biodegradable wrapping. I'm sure plenty of labs are working on that right now. The plastic ban charge in the UK has worked wonders.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2018, 07:32 AM

Good move

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tles-cans.html
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

28-03-2018, 08:17 AM

What a disaster we are for the planet

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1332.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	5536  

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top