Join for free
Page 66 of 370 « First < 16 56 64 65 66 67 68 76 116 166 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 06:39 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Mart, the great thing about years of routines, like your cycling and walking, is that a day out of sync is not only well-earned, it's good for the soul. It sounds like a bit of adventure which trumps a dedicated workout any day of the week. One of my favorite ways to shop is to take my bike with my basket or panniers. It makes me think strategically about what I am buying.

Oh, and pass some of those veggies, please

Floydy, I have been adding some spinning classes to my routine, but alas, I can't give up the running or the surfing. They are about as necessary as breathing for me! I think the cycling will help me build muscle without the risk of injury that some of the leg machines could cause. As you have mentioned...reps over weight is my mantra looking forward. I hope this leg issue is only a minor setback.

So after a spinning class this morning, my daughter and I were thwarted by thunderstorms to do any surfing, so that left me crossing my fingers all day for an opportunity to run. Sure enough, the rain moved on and while the roads cleared off, the clouds kept the beachgoers at bay leaving this long open beach road for six miles of peaceful huffing and puffing.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5645.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	3689  
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I Hope Mrs Floydy's operation is successful and makes a full recovery Floydy. Send her my best wishes......
Originally Posted by mart ->
I quickly came in to mention how the exercise had gone and failed to read your entire post Floydy. I hope your good lady recovers quickly and that no further treatment will be necessary.

All the best to both of you.
Thanks very much guys, let's hope it all goes well
noolsg
Kildare Ireland
noolsg is female  noolsg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 08:19 PM

I seem to exercise less and less and think about it more and more. I'm tired and totally lack motivation
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 03:58 AM

Oh, I know, noolsg. It is really hard to start when you've been away and you have so many personal responsibilities. The first day I ran after a bit of surgery was 160 m...and had anyone seen me, they would have shaken their heads in pity. Even so, I wrote it down and considered it a victory because I did it, and I began to reward myself with little presents like a long hot bubble bath, each time I went up a notch. You will find that the more exercise you do, the less tired you will feel in as little as a few weeks. Is there something we can do to help you dive back in?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 10:23 AM

I've decided that I'm not doing enough short fast runs but I don't want to interfere with my usual longer distance runs. So on the days that I don't normally run I shall just do a one mile faster paced run and this morning was the first of those....

After running so fast that on occasions my legs couldn't keep up and I almost stumbled, then there was the incident with the woman reversing her car out of her drive onto the main road, to which I almost ended up in the passenger seat....
And despite the lung bursting, leg trembling sprint on the last four hundred metres, I remained standing (almost) as I entered my drive......

This mornings effort came out at just under nine and a half minutes for the mile......Embarrassing!....... I've managed to run a mile in seven minutes in the past and kept it up for 26 miles on several marathons.....

But at the end of the day (which it nearly was) I suppose it wasn't bad for a 67 year old bloke after two Heart Attacks.......Talk about nine lives....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 05:15 PM

I've decided that I'm not doing enough short fast runs but I don't want to interfere with my usual longer distance runs. So on the days that I don't normally run I shall just do a one mile faster paced run and this morning was the first of those....

After running so fast that on occasions my legs couldn't keep up and I almost stumbled, then there was the incident with the woman reversing her car out of her drive onto the main road, to which I almost ended up in the passenger seat....
And despite the lung bursting, leg trembling sprint on the last four hundred metres, I remained standing (almost) as I entered my drive......

This mornings effort came out at just under nine and a half minutes for the mile......Embarrassing!....... I've managed to run a mile in seven minutes in the past and kept it up for 26 miles on several marathons.....

But at the end of the day (which it nearly was) I suppose it wasn't bad for a 67 year old bloke after two Heart Attacks.......Talk about nine lives....
Bob, you're an inspiration to anyone who is a runner, or is considering going out to pound the roads, never mind younger people. And at 67 too!

Is there a park nearby you could run around bud, it sounds rather precarious dodging oncoming driveway cars and the like?

I do like the idea of you splitting things up by doing a few short runs also. Keeps the legs shocked and eager for more, which also keeps the old ticker in check too with changing the routine.

Keep it going matey
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

16-08-2017, 05:23 PM

Today I woke up with a slight twinge in the middle of my back for some reason thus avoiding any niggle-prone back work, which was on the cards originally. No matter, I decided to give the arm boulders a real good thrashing instead. An hour on the biceps sounded like a good idea...

**People of the OFF, please ignore my sometimes-too-macho speak. These training sessions are posted into a bodybuilding forum which I’ve participated in for years, where this kind of chat is the name of the game**

Wednesday 16/8/17

DB Hammer curls, seated, alt:
10x14
10x16

SUPERSET:
E-Z bar preacher curls, low pull, c/g / Standing DB curls, alt. (across chest):
10x30 / 6x12
10x30 / 6x12
10x30 / 6x12
10x30 / 6x12
10x30 / 6x12
*New combination this superset, so it was a bit trial and error with the weight to use – I didn’t want to go too heavy and blow it by not fulfilling the required five sets. In the end it was just about right but it really tested the biceps and I was struggling to curl on the final preacher set with the guns screaming for mercy then only just managing the last couple of reps and even unable to hook the bar back into place on the apparatus, thus it landing on the floor and making a hell of a racket. Everyone looking at me like I’m some kind of ‘bro-pro’ or something lol!

DB Concentration curl, seated, alt:
6x16
6x16
6x16

SUPERSET:
Tricep extensions / 20kg BB curls:
20x40 / 20x20
20x50 / 20x20
16x60 / 20x20
12x70 / 20x20
8x80 / 20x20
*Notice today I was going up the stack instead of sticking with a certain weight, ending up with 80kg extensions. Good to get the triceps into play today too.
This superset has become a regular feature as it’s so practical to carry out. Seated on the tricep stack machine then straight at it with the 20kg barbell in front of me. Very minimal rest.

E-Z preacher curl, low pull, c/g:
5x40
5x40
5x40
5x45
10x28
*Second time today on this exercise, but on its own and with a heavier weight. Took the sets really slow, concentrating intrinsically on the full range of movement of the extended bicep pulling up to maximum contraction at the shoulder and holding for a few seconds, then slowly lowering the bar to rest. Biceps looking madly well pumped by now, alien-like.

Bicep machine curls, alt:
12x30

Had enough, arms utterly wasted!

Time: 1hr. 5mins.

Absolutely loved all that, it felt like a session from the days of old when I would throw caution to the wind and just rack on them thar weights like there’s no tomorrow.

Quick four hours at work tonight, leaving at 2am then some authorised absence to look after the missus for almost three weeks. The time off will do me good too actually. I’ve no idea when I’ll be able to visit the gym again, as everything now depends on my wife’s operation, when she is released from hospital and her subsequent recovery. Obviously, I’ll be ‘allowed’ to nip out occasionally, but whatever and whenever my wife needs help for the next few weeks, I’ll at least be there to support her.

Thanks for reading
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

16-08-2017, 05:36 PM

I've decided that I'm not doing enough short fast runs but I don't want to interfere with my usual longer distance runs. So on the days that I don't normally run I shall just do a one mile faster paced run and this morning was the first of those....Good for you. I haven't seen my fast twitch muscles in years, despite looking under the bed and digging up the garden to find them.

After running so fast that on occasions my legs couldn't keep up and I almost stumbled, then there was the incident with the woman reversing her car out of her drive onto the main road, to which I almost ended up in the passenger seat....You really should be nicer to Mrs. Fox so as not to incite this level of fury

And despite the lung bursting, leg trembling sprint on the last four hundred metres, I remained standing (almost) as I entered my drive......And it was then that you collapsed into fetal position weeping that you planned to take hang up your running shoes for the ancient sport of watching grass grow?

This mornings effort came out at just under nine and a half minutes for the mile......Embarrassing!....... I've managed to run a mile in seven minutes in the past and kept it up for 26 miles on several marathons.....Nonsense. Look here: http://www.pace-calculator.com/avera...by-age-sex.php

But at the end of the day (which it nearly was) I suppose it wasn't bad for a 67 year old bloke after two Heart Attacks.......Talk about nine lives....You must be winning the "strong heart muscle" category for bodybuilding. Cue "Theme from Rocky"...
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

16-08-2017, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
**People of the OFF, please ignore my sometimes-too-macho speak. These training sessions are posted into a bodybuilding forum which I’ve participated in for years, where this kind of chat is the name of the game**
No worries, while you may speak in macho terms, I "hear" it in a lilting voice with images of daisies and buttercups floating through the air.

Remarkable workout, Floydy; you'll be back at the gym in no time. Your family has my sincerest thoughts for your wife's successful and speedy recovery. Please keep us posted.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

16-08-2017, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
No worries, while you may speak in macho terms, I "hear" it in a lilting voice with images of daisies and buttercups floating through the air.

Remarkable workout, Floydy; you'll be back at the gym in no time. Your family has my sincerest thoughts for your wife's successful and speedy recovery. Please keep us posted.
Haha! Yes, I think you can tell I don't speak like Rambo all the time, Surfermom 😅

I'm sure I'll be able to leave the carer side of me ocasionally too. I'm sure everything will work out fine.

I'll certainly keep you all posted. Thanks, appreciated☺

Page 66 of 370 « First < 16 56 64 65 66 67 68 76 116 166 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top