Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 01:45 AM

Technology for sleepy drivers

A quote from yesterday's paper. See what you think:

"A baseball cap fitted with sensors has been developed to stop drivers falling asleep at the wheel.
The 'Alert Cap' also has a gyroscope to interpret head movements.
If the sensor thinks the driver is nodding off, it will light up, vibrate and sound an alarm.
The prototype has been designed by engineers at Ford, which intends to put it into production.
Ford bosses claim it is the the first car-maker to think of 'wearable technology to contribute to accident prevention.' "

So what do you think of this idea, is it a good one?

I can't help but wonder if electrical sensors rammed on our heads for long periods each day could be harmful? I am thinking more about people who drive for a living all day and every day.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 01:48 AM

Re: Technology for sleepy drivers

Cor ..it sounds like something they'd use in Gitmo.

Is it wired up with crocodile clips to the cigarette lighter socket for a quick charge now and then?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 02:08 AM

hmmm.... I can sleep through an alarm

I read today that uber are developing technology for flying taxis. The world is changing fast it seems.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 10:37 AM

I don't think I'd like that sudden noises make me jump, not something I like when I'm driving. Best idea is don't do it isn't it really.

Long journeys likely to make a driver tired here we try to make sure they don't go alone so someone can dig them in their side if they are worried they might be nodding.

Not great but works ok so far.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't think I'd like that sudden noises make me jump, not something I like when I'm driving. Best idea is don't do it isn't it really.

Long journeys likely to make a driver tired here we try to make sure they don't go alone so someone can dig them in their side if they are worried they might be nodding.

Not great but works ok so far.

I was thinking more of truckers Julie, or taxi drivers, delivery drivers etc who drive for a living all day.
Although I think the idea of a warning if someone is nodding off is a good one, I would be concerned about having those electrode things stuck on my head all day, longterm. Even more so if I was a bald man with no hair for protection.

Where's out Tom, he's out resident trucker. I'll go and find him, half mo . . . . . .
tomtwodogs
Lynmouth U.K.
tomtwodogs is male  tomtwodogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 12:47 PM

Hi ya Mups, you found me, well I don't work full time anymore, just two or three shifts per week now, and as to do I think its a good idea,?.. I can see it may be beneficial to some car drivers who don't drive for long periods regulary, and find a long journey exhausting. We Truck and Coach drivers have to have a 45 minute break after 4.5 hours driving,and are limited to 9 hrs total driving per shift,but this can be spread over a 15 hour day ( eg, other work, loading /unloading ) which in my opinion is way too long, if we break these rules its all recorded on our tachographs, and we can get prosecuted, even months after the date if we get a check by VOSA,.. and lose our licences for it.
I can honestly say that I have never personally known of any driver who has fallen asleep at the wheel, although I have heard on the news of some that have, in my case the worst time of the day when I feel drowsy is driving between 1am - 3am, and I always carry a cold wet sponge to wipe my face with, which seemed to work when you put your face out of the window and catch an icy blast, lol, it also doubled as an artificial sweat inducer , just dab your forehead with it before the manager walks over to talk with you on a hot day and he thinks we have been working hard etc ( grins)
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

09-11-2017, 02:17 PM

Aha. found you.

Interesting and informative reply, and thank you.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 07:09 PM

Can they also help you find your way around Mups?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

09-11-2017, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Can they also help you find your way around Mups?

Now look 'ere young Judsy that was quite unecessary and uncalled for!

Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 07:16 PM

Might be a good modification. Every time you stray off a pre-programmed course it gives you electric shocks. The thing of the future, you heard here first folks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top