Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 05:10 PM

Re: Camelias - time to give up trying?

Ah ha! Aerolor, mine is white perhaps that is why it flowers early. It's in a South facing spot under tree and next to other shrubs, could be dry in summer or in a frost pocket.
My neighbour has a red camelia out the front in a very exposed position facing East it flowers later and gets no damage.

So...either I move mine and put up with it sulking for a bit or not have flowers.
I'm probably moving in the next 6 months so I'll have to decide whether it's worth potting it up or leaving it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I have a camellia in a very large pot which is buried into the garden. It flowers every year with no attention, other than feeding each spring, I read somewhere that bud fall occurs because of a lack of water during the summer months.

What Rehab says is true, Tess.
If your's is under a tree as well, it probably doesn't get enough rain, as well as feed.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 08:15 PM

Just leave it to get on with life. They don't like the frost, but if it's sheltered from the early sun it should not be harmed too much.
Mine is huge & must be about 18ft with masses of blooms every year and I haven't done anything for it for 18 yrs.

The only time it was troubled was when the snow fell and was too heavy for some branches , thus causing them to snap and split. I had them chopped off and away it took off again.

Maybe it will surprise you this spring. Beautiful flowers.

South facing could be your problem.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Ah ha! Aerolor, mine is white perhaps that is why it flowers early. It's in a South facing spot under tree and next to other shrubs, could be dry in summer or in a frost pocket.
My neighbour has a red camelia out the front in a very exposed position facing East it flowers later and gets no damage.

So...either I move mine and put up with it sulking for a bit or not have flowers.
I'm probably moving in the next 6 months so I'll have to decide whether it's worth potting it up or leaving it.
I think I would pot it up and take it Tessa - not sure when the best time would be, maybe after it has flowered and the weather is a bit better. Mine faces North West and it does have a bit of protection from a wall as well as the rhodies. It always flowers well, but sometimes it catches a bit of frost because it is out too early, I think. They are lovely shrubs, quite exotic and well worth bothering with IMO.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2018, 12:02 AM

I looked it up Tess, and it seems it is best to move when the plant is dormant e.g. late autumn, or at a pinch early winter. It will be getting ready to flower now.

Here's a bit more info:

Camellias are not too deeply rooted, generally but it does depend on how big your plant is and how old. The roots though do not spread too far. I have moved big ones without any difficulty...make sure you dig as large a rootball as possible.

Camelias like a slightly acid soil but will tolerate some lime, a little, so neutral soil is fine. Mine are in neutral ground and do well and they are in full sun, well, from late morning to late afternoon and they flower well. Early morning sun is a big NO not because the shrubs themselves are damaged but the buds and flowers suffer if frosted and thaw takes place too quickly. Ideally dappled shade if possible. but they can grow in sunny or shady situations. However, they are tough things. When I plant camelias I do so at soil level, not too deep, and incorporate ericaceous compost mixed with my own soil and my own compost, water very, very well and then mulch with bark chips or compost. I find white flowering varieties need more protection from the sun and mine is tucked away in a very sheltered position.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2018, 12:11 AM

I have three smallish camellia bushes planted in the ground, last year I had hardly any buds or flowers on them. This year there are loads of healthy looking buds on them .... so far I just hope the coming cold spell won't spoil them
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2018, 05:18 AM

The drought killed off both my tea plants (Camellia Sinensis) without getting a decent cuppa from either of them

Perhaps if I had watered them?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2018, 06:14 AM

I left gorgeous camellias in my last garden, I was tempted to try move them and bring some with me but it seemed a bit cheeky as the garden was a bit of a selling point so I left them for the new owners.

I haven't had much luck with them in this garden but the soil and location is very different so apart from one plant I have given up on them the other thing of course is they grow so slowly, I'm impatient I like quick results. I do love camellias though.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2018, 10:02 AM

The last time I moved, from accross the road, I didn' t have the time or strength to dig up all my lovely plants. I left some magnolias and loads of shrubs. The people who moved in promised to let me have them if they didn't want them as they weren't into gardening.
I went out to my car one day and found they'd removed every single plant and taken them to the tip.
My middle daughter said if I move again she'll send her hubby round with a mini digger and move all my plants for me!
Hope I don't get a flat!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2018, 12:28 PM

I have one camellia in a deep pot. I think it's called Silver Anniversary and produces white flowers. I wrapped the pot in flooring insulation material and wrapped the base of the plant with an old hanging basket liner. It faces South and is next to a shed.

So far it looks ok but I do remember last year the flowers turned brown rather quickly. I did water well last year even when it had been raining.

My garden is still in the experimental stage so it will be interesting to see what does well and what doesn't.

So far, I only know that heather works.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top