Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 12:57 PM

Re: Dead Battery Question

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Although cars no longer have dials for charge rate, they usually have a warning light to show any significant fall in the charge rate from the Alternator, or a fan belt failure.
Aren't modern vehicles fitted with these smart alternators that turn themselves off to save fuel when the battery is only 80% charged?

The old cars used to have a light for oil pressure and one to show discharge (ie they went out when the battery was charging) but these days they rely on the computer to monitor the electrics and tell the dash when things are wrong.

I don't know much about these smart alternators other than they exist and are a bloody nuisance if you have an aux battery - fortunately my car, even though it is now only a couple of years old, has the older constant voltage alternator.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 01:32 PM

You could use one of these as Bruce suggested earlier.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/3in1-Digita...d=263136832794
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 08:00 PM

Thank you so much, Fender. It helps me know what to look for. New battery tomorrow and a tachometer not far behind.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 08:24 PM

My car had a flat battery and I called out the AA.
It appeared that the battery was by no means new and the fact that I was not using the car regularly and even when I did it was for very short journeys.
The battery was replaced and the guy from the AA recommended I should do a 20 mile round trip every couple of weeks to keep it in good condition.

It still worries me though and I think I could do with a chrger of some description.
Unfortunately I have to park in our small private car park nowhere near my front door so I'm not sure what kind of charger would be best for me.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
My car had a flat battery and I called out the AA.
It appeared that the battery was by no means new and the fact that I was not using the car regularly and even when I did it was for very short journeys.
The battery was replaced and the guy from the AA recommended I should do a 20 mile round trip every couple of weeks to keep it in good condition.

It still worries me though and I think I could do with a chrger of some description.
Unfortunately I have to park in our small private car park nowhere near my front door so I'm not sure what kind of charger would be best for me.
You could always keep something like this in the boot / at home.

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-too...1-jump-starter

As a rule of thumb, it takes a journey of 6 miles to put the energy back into the battery that is used to start an average car.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
You could always keep something like this in the boot / at home.

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-too...1-jump-starter

As a rule of thumb, it takes a journey of 6 miles to put the energy back into the battery that is used to start an average car.
Thank you Fender that looks ideal.
The cars been fine since new battery fitted and I'm definitely using the car more now but I still think your suggestion would be good for a back up.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 12:26 PM

Scimed the replies to this topic so don't no if this has been stated.

If on some cars you leave your interior light on your battery will be flat the next morning.

Another Case in fact (I have done this 3 times) parked up and left my side lights on coming back 5 hours later battery was dead.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 06:08 PM

You can get a battery charger for vehicles not used very often that has a charge/discharge cycle. People who lay up camper vans over winter use them, as well as classic car owners who don't use the car every day/week/month.
They are useful if you are going away for a long period as well.
You can even get solar powered versions of them, and neither the mains or solar jobbies will overcharge the battery.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
You can get a battery charger for vehicles not used very often that has a charge/discharge cycle. People who lay up camper vans over winter use them, as well as classic car owners who don't use the car every day/week/month.
They are useful if you are going away for a long period as well.
You can even get solar powered versions of them, and neither the mains or solar jobbies will overcharge the battery.
This is right I started a bit of a thread about it:

<<Click Here>>

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top