Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 08:01 PM

Re: Roast Potatoes.

Hi Kev, I always use red potatoes such as Desiree for the perfect roast potatoes. And yes, I always precook them by peeling and steaming them. I always make sure they are all roughly the same size when I cut them into quarters before steaming them (large size potatoes). I never steam them until soft though, just for about 10 mins so the outsides are soft. I then give them a good shake to get lots of edges on them, ensure the beef dripping is piping hot, salt them and sprinkle with rosemary or thyme before throwing them in the oven dish. roast for 40 mins, turning them once after 20 mins. Have done them this way for decades and the fact that my roasties are the only veg that are NEVER left on plates says they are good enough for me the way they are done. .
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 08:12 PM

I use Maris Piper potatoes, par boil for 10 minutes, strain potatoes, return to pan and give them a good shake about to roughen the edges. Heat fat/oil in roasting tin until very hot. add potatoes and cook until golden and crispy.
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 09:03 AM

Thank you all for your ideas. It makes my mouth water just reading them. Sweet potatoes. In the summer we grow Mangold in the garden and one of my favourite dishes is Mangold quiche. Instead of using pastry my wife lines the baking tray with slices of sweet potato. The sweet potato bakes brown and crispy on the edges. Very tasty and much heathier than pastry.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 09:16 AM

Emjay, I'm with you on this one. If there is a short cut and it tastes ok go for it I don't always use Aunt Bessie but i do sometimes
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 09:34 AM

I also do the parboil, and then the shake to roughen the edges.
But when I don't have the time to do that, I simply cut the potatoes in half, then score them all around with a fork.
Does the trick!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 09:37 AM

Hi

I like roasts with different flavours, rosemary being my favourite.

I flavour my oil with herbs from my garden
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I steam the potatoes for ten minutes then rough them up a big by shaking them in the pan with a lid on, get the sides of the potatoes a bit rough and you get lovely crispy bits.

I cook them in vegetable oil, sunflower preferably.

But as others have said it depends on the potato you start out with. I'm not a red fan, a floury White is fine.

I did make a terrible mistake once following seeing a chef on tv I covered my potatoes in semolina, crunchy ? Oh yes none of us could get a knife through them, we ended up having to fetch the mallet from the kitchen drawer and smashing them up. Much laughter but not the best roasties.

I saw that tip too, Jamie Oliver. A pox on him. Spuds came out like corkie balls.

These days I par boil them then shake them in the pan as usual but then spray them with that 1Cal oil before bunging them in a moderately hot oven. Also dry roast them with parsnips without par boiling - peeled and cut into decent sizes then into the oven in a roasting tin. Surprisingly nice.
effingpot
Hampshire, UK
effingpot is male  effingpot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 12:33 AM

Goose fat! Otherwise you will remain in the B list! (parboil too btw).

Lidl sells £19.99 frozen geese - or did a few weeks ago. Use the Eastern Europe method - rub with LOADS of salt, chill for a day or two, then wash off the salt and roast - all the fat will come out.

The goose will feed about 4-5 people and is delicious. The fat will keep in the fridge for ages. This evening I used up the fat I got about mid December! The roast spuds were AMAZING! even though they were the wrong type of spud!)
effingpot
Hampshire, UK
effingpot is male  effingpot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 05:35 PM

Maris Pipers seem to be the best for roasting.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top