Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 08:37 PM

Won't be buying this ever again!!

Was doing my Sainsbury Home Delivery Shop today. Noticed that New Zealand lamb was a £1 off the price of £8.50 (£7.50) for a whole leg of lamb, whereas 1/2 leg of New Zealand Lamb was still £8.50, Oh good, I thought, enough for dinner on Sunday and a Curry on Monday.

I don't know why but I decided to look at their reviews first. It was showing 4 stars out of 5, so someone wasn't happy with their lamb and I wanted to know why before I bought.

Imagine my absolute disgust when the first review I read stated that every New Zealand Lamb (not just some) is now killed by the Halal method!!. The reviewer was furious that Sainsbury's only mention this in the tiny small print, instead of making it prominent on the front of the packaging so customers can make an informed decision whether to buy meat that has not been slaughtered in the usual way.

Needless to say, I am not going to touch that lamb. I'm shocked and surprised that the country of New Zealand allow every single Lamb to be slaughtered this way.
I will in future stick to English or Welsh Lamb.

What are your feelings regarding Halal slaughter. I'm afraid I'm totally against it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 08:43 PM

Re: Won't be buying this ever again!!

We never eat lamb anyway Shrops but I think it's terrible. They should have 'HALAL' printed in big letters on the packaging rather than in small print. The fact that it's in small print proves they think the majority of their customers disagree with it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 08:45 PM

Oh dear Shroppy, that's pretty grim I must say.

Just found this link about which other supermarkets are doing the same:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...alal-meat.html
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 08:46 PM

Its only public ignorance that allows it to continue.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
We never eat lamb anyway Shrops but I think it's terrible. They should have 'HALAL' printed in big letters on the packaging rather than in small print. The fact that it's in small print proves they think the majority of their customers disagree with it.

Totally agree with that dongles. They know damn well a lot of people would not buy it if they knew.
Same as GM crops.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Was doing my Sainsbury Home Delivery Shop today. Noticed that New Zealand lamb was a £1 off the price of £8.50 (£7.50) for a whole leg of lamb, whereas 1/2 leg of New Zealand Lamb was still £8.50, Oh good, I thought, enough for dinner on Sunday and a Curry on Monday.

I don't know why but I decided to look at their reviews first. It was showing 4 stars out of 5, so someone wasn't happy with their lamb and I wanted to know why before I bought.

Imagine my absolute disgust when the first review I read stated that every New Zealand Lamb (not just some) is killed by the Halal method!!. The reviewer was furious that Sainsbury's only mention this in the tiny small print, instead of making it prominent on the front of the packaging so customers can make an informed decision whether to buy meat that has not been slaughtered in the usual way.

Needless to say, I am not going to touch that lamb. I'm shocked and surprised that the country of New Zealand allow every single Lamb to be slaughtered this way.
I will in future stick to English or Welsh Lamb.

What are your feelings regarding Halal slaughter. I'm afraid I'm totally against it.
Hi

Just as bad as Jewish Slaughter, but there is not even a warning in that here in the UK.

Nothing at all,but vast amounts of it enters the food chain.

Kosher meat is only the forequarter, your steaks, topside,silverside and Rump going into the Supermarkets totally unmarked.

I only buy my meat from slaughterhouses where I know they do not do Halal or Kosher.

Edited to add.

All Halal Meat from New Zealand is stunned before slaughter, the animal is unconscious.

Kosher slaughter prohibits this, so here in the UK the animal is fully conscious when it's throat is cut.

So you can be eating your steak or Sunday roast without any warning at all.

60% of Polish Beef is exported to the UK.

I do not eat any Polish Beef because it is the biggest exporter of Kosher Beef in the world.

The Polish are now pushing a law through saying that they will ban exports of any beef slaughtered by the Kosher method.

The Israelis are going mad about this.

As soon as the law is in place, I will start eating Polish Beef.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 08:51 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-label-it.html

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...hester-8869008

If you Google halal meat sold in Sainsbury's and other supermarkets youll be up all night...
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 09:41 PM

You have two options to remedy this, be a vegetarian or eat pork.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 09:42 PM

I do eat NZ lamb because all Halal meat there is prestunned .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 09:58 PM

I thought it was common knowledge all New Zealand meat is halal, they sell more to Muslim countries than to us so they have set up their system to sell most.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top