Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 06:22 PM

what is editing and what is adjustment ?

I have been giving this some serious thought. Normally I would think of editing is done by using an editing suite on a computer like anyone else. I have had to do a rethink.

Having discovered how much can be done in camera has thrown that in my mind into some confusion.

For example with my nikon D810

Under just one of many headings ,in one called "retouching" there are 18 "yes 18" different options let alone sub sections in each one. these sub sections allow a viewing of photos taken and "retouching" each one.

On top of that there are another 5 main headings each with a whole batch of sub options and even those sub options have more sub options.

Yes modern professional cameras will allow " editing within the camera to product the best picture.

So I come back to the question what is actually editing against adjustments ie "retouching?

This really confused me with the Excellent competition Barry runs on this forum which is why I have had to withdrawn

This is just one of 3 menu pages under "Retouch"

If I retouched (Nixon terms used) and entered would I be breaking competition rules as the "Finished" photo is still straight from the camera?

If Barry, for his competition, could clarify the rules it would help me decide to enter again or not.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 06:29 PM

Re: what is editing and what is adjustment ?

I think the idea on the competition is for the photo to be completely untouched by camera when taken or afterwards.
That's why I stopped entering as I tend to edit mine as soon as I save them and forget which ones I fiddled with.
I think editing is enhancing the original, which makes it more equal to those with less fancy equipment, but what do I know?
Manipulation of images is what started the whole problem.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I think the idea on the competition is for the photo to be completely untouched by camera when taken or afterwards.
That's why I stopped entering as I tend to edit mine as soon as I save them and forget which ones I fiddled with.
I think editing is enhancing the original, which makes it more equal to those with less fancy equipment, but what do I know?
Manipulation of images is what started the whole problem.
That is fair enough, BUT with modern pro and semi pro cameras a lot can be done prior to actually taking the shot. With the advantage of using the back screen and what it displays

Take the example below

The histogram shows up what is right and wrong (lighting) with a photo before it is taken or with a second repeat shot

So although i understand where you are coming from any enhancements can easily be done on the first shot and altered for the next shot. then the second shot would be as taken complying with the rules

You see my problem and not wanting to take advantage in competition

Unless one owns a pro DSLR the average "picture taker" cannot realise the amount of adjustments that can be made "in camera" as almost as much as and editing suite on a computer.

Finally in my arguement, surely any photographer wants to present an image the best way possible, even if it means editing by either method? this is not possible at the moment in this competition
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 07:13 PM

I would ask Barry, my camera takes light photos for some reason so nearly always have to adjust and straighten because I tend to lean one way.
I didn't realise some cameras could be so complex!
The trouble is if any adjustment is allowed it could open up a whole can of worms again.
Post your photos on a thread, folk will admire them there.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

03-03-2018, 07:22 PM

I do anyway TessA. Sometimes I do wonder if a simple compact "point and shoot" camera is not the best option. Even with them some having adjustment menus so large one cannot wade through them all.

I have had Nikon cameras for more years than I can remember. I started out just thinking point a camera and take a photo. How wrong and nieve was I?
The more you learn there is twice as much again to learn, and i am still learning
Only in the last few days found even more options I didn't know existed on my cameras
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

03-03-2018, 07:30 PM

I'm glad I'm not technically minded!
I took up photograpy because I can't draw or paint so well anymore.
I treat photos as paintings, rather than getting into whether they're "good" photos.
I do admire those who work hard to get a perfect shot but it takes some of the fun out of it for me. No patience that's my problem. I can take a photo of a brick and think it's cool!
I think you have to decide whether you want to please yourself or present something people will admire.
If people like my photos its a huge bonus.
It seems like it could take ages to learn all the new fangled settings and you might miss something wonderful while trying to sort them out.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

03-03-2018, 07:37 PM

Only thing I can draw is a pint of beer..
I decided that a few years back I needed a hobby for when I retired.
Already having got a Nikon camera and seldom used it ,photography was an option I took up. It is something one can do on ones own and also "play" with in an evening with editing.

So that is now my main interest, usually taking terrible photos.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 07:47 PM

I do all my editing on my iPhone with 1 or 2 apps. Sometimes I'll let Google Photos have a go as it asks.

I'm never let down by my photos as I'm not much of a photographer to begin with - it's just shoot then upload.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

03-03-2018, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I do all my editing on my iPhone with 1 or 2 apps. Sometimes I'll let Google Photos have a go as it asks.

I'm never let down by my photos as I'm not much of a photographer to begin with - it's just shoot then upload.
I often get asked " is this a good photo" someone has taken. and asked me.

The simple answer is if the person who took it likes it, then it is a good photo, if others like it then it is a bonus.

I tend to find myself spotting every error possible in anything I take a photo of, and never satisfied. It may be out of focus -too light/dark- wrong depth of field- and a hundred other things, but self criticism is the harshest
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

03-03-2018, 08:15 PM

Sometimes artistic quality beats technical perfection!
I do like some of those blurry photos sometimes taken on a rainy day. Sometimes at night with lights.
I don't know what their called but they look a bit watercoloury.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top