Join for free
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2018, 01:45 PM

Keeping cheese fresh

Sorry if this has been on before but i always have trouble keeping my cheese fresh. I have searched on line and tried various ways such as using grease proof paper, tin foil, plastic containers but no luck the cheese either goes all sweatie or dries out and cracks all over. How on earth did they keep their cheese fresh in the old days i know my mum had a pantry and kept hers in there. So maybe a fridge is a no no!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2018, 02:21 PM

Re: Keeping cheese fresh

Hi Doc 'proper cheese' eg the type that has matured properly, has a rind and does not come encased in plastic is best kept somewhere cool that isn't the fridge but there are not many places in the modern home that fit the bill.

Plastic wrapped cheese is best kept in the fridge.
Once opened I keep it in a polythene box which has an air vent in the top and I line the box with kitchen roll.

At home we had a pantry with a meat safe and a similar one for cheese, a little cupboard with a mesh front.

Pantries are becoming fashionable again apparently, my son has one in his new house , it has a butlers sink, no heating and is lined with cupboards. It is perfect for storing proper cheese .
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2018, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
Sorry if this has been on before but i always have trouble keeping my cheese fresh. I have searched on line and tried various ways such as using grease proof paper, tin foil, plastic containers but no luck the cheese either goes all sweatie or dries out and cracks all over. How on earth did they keep their cheese fresh in the old days i know my mum had a pantry and kept hers in there. So maybe a fridge is a no no!!
Hi Doc, nice to see you on this forum, it has been about a year since I last posted with you....

About the cheese, my dad ate limberger cheese and it was kept in a jar in the cold cellar.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2018, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Doc 'proper cheese' eg the type that has matured properly, has a rind and does not come encased in plastic is best kept somewhere cool that isn't the fridge but there are not many places in the modern home that fit the bill.

Plastic wrapped cheese is best kept in the fridge.
Once opened I keep it in a polythene box which has an air vent in the top and I line the box with kitchen roll.

At home we had a pantry with a meat safe and a similar one for cheese, a little cupboard with a mesh front.

Pantries are becoming fashionable again apparently, my son has one in his new house , it has a butlers sink, no heating and is lined with cupboards. It is perfect for storing proper cheese .
We have one of those and it seems to work pretty well.
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2018, 03:56 PM

I wrap it in parchment paper then place it in a sealed plastic bag. I do not like plastic touching the cheese, seems to impart a funny taste.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2018, 03:57 PM

You know you can freeze cheese? Try just putting enough for one or two meals in tin foil in the fridge and take the frozen stuff out a bit at a time. Foil works excellently for me, not sure why it doesn't for you.
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2018, 04:01 PM

Eccles, I buy grated parmesan at Costco and do keep that in the freezer, never tried it with the soft cheeses though.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2018, 04:52 PM

Back in the day though Doc, we only bought what was going to be used quickly

I keep cheese wrapped back in its bag in the fridge on the top shelf of the door and never had a problem with sweating. My fridge is pretty modern and it came with instructions on where to store which food stuffs where. And it works
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2018, 06:39 PM

I wrap mine in two layers of proper cheese muslin in a waxed box in the 'fridge. I never use cling film or foil.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top