Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2018, 11:15 AM

Re: Copd

As has already been identified, COPD is a generic term for a number of different lung diseases, Asthma, Emphysema and Pulmonary Fibrosis.

Asthma:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20369653

Emphysema:

https://www.webmd.boots.com/smoking-cessation/emphysema

Pulmonary Fibrosis:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...3D508741706_uk

I was diagnosed in 1999 with 'late onset' Asthma, this has continued to worsen over the years and now the Respiratory Consultant at the hospital says I have a combination of Emphysema and Pulmonary Fibrosis.
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2018, 01:47 PM

I was diagnosed copd some 4 years ago.Rushed into hospital a couple of times since.However,symptoms can vary over the years and at the moment I'm going through a 'not too bad' period.

I bought a nebuliser for home and even have one fitted in the car...(the battery powered hand held ones are expensive and not much good) If a doctor recommends one for you,you will have to buy the machine, but the nebuliser solution will be on prescription.
The relief a nebuliser gives when you are going through a panicky breathless period is well worth the purchase....

Out of all the nebulisers I have tried I found the following to be the best and most efficient.Even better than the models used in hospitals.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2018, 01:54 PM

Yes I have COPD. I gave up smoking almost fifty years ago and I was never a heavy smoker anyway. My lungs have calcification due to TB and severe whooping cough in childhood. My dad and baby brother died of TB and we all lived in the same house until my father died on my seventh birthday.

I have Anoro inhaler once a day, but I do find that when my arthritis is particularly bad, then so too is my breathing.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2018, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by poohdog ->
I was diagnosed copd some 4 years ago.Rushed into hospital a couple of times since.However,symptoms can vary over the years and at the moment I'm going through a 'not too bad' period.

I bought a nebuliser for home and even have one fitted in the car...(the battery powered hand held ones are expensive and not much good) If a doctor recommends one for you,you will have to buy the machine, but the nebuliser solution will be on prescription.
The relief a nebuliser gives when you are going through a panicky breathless period is well worth the purchase....

Out of all the nebulisers I have tried I found the following to be the best and most efficient.Even better than the models used in hospitals.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thank you for the link. Having only just been diagnosed with COPD I am only in the early stages and the attack I had yesterday isn't something that happens every day thankfully. But the neb is something worth considering buying to have in for emergencies so thank you again. Its very scarey when you can't breathe isn't it
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2018, 09:17 PM

What are the symptons of Chronic Asthma please? It was mentioned that I had COPD.then Asthma no one seems to have any answers.Im going to try and pin one of the nurses down ,see if I can get answers.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2018, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Thank you for the link. Having only just been diagnosed with COPD I am only in the early stages and the attack I had yesterday isn't something that happens every day thankfully. But the neb is something worth considering buying to have in for emergencies so thank you again. Its very scarey when you can't breathe isn't it
I'd be terrified Lion
Though I'm cutting down, I'm a smoker ... and been one for far too long so I'm reading this thread to learn all I can. Can't believe I'll escape some kind of respiratory problems in the future.

I've been reading the reviews on Amazon of that Omron model that poohdog posted a link to.
They're all very encouraging.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2018, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I'd be terrified Lion
Though I'm cutting down, I'm a smoker ... and been one for far too long so I'm reading this thread to learn all I can. Can't believe I'll escape some kind of respiratory problems in the future.

I've been reading the reviews on Amazon of that Omron model that poohdog posted a link to.
They're all very encouraging.
It's horrible Morticia, I truly regret smoking even though I enjoyed it at the time. I quit over 10 years ago but over the last 3 years or so my smoking days are catching up with me. I won't pretend I'm not scared for the future because I am The reason I quit is because I got a very bad bout of bronchitis and I thought I was going to die, it really frightened me and I never touched a cigarette again, happily my husband followed suit but we both have bad chests now. I need to try not to worry really because Que Sera Sera, whatever will be will be but it's hard when you are struggling to breathe.
I believe that to quit smoking one has to WANT to quit. You will know when the time has come for you to quit but if my post has even made just one person THINK that perhaps its time to quit then I'd be happy. xx
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2018, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
What are the symptons of Chronic Asthma please? It was mentioned that I had COPD.then Asthma no one seems to have any answers.Im going to try and pin one of the nurses down ,see if I can get answers.
Don't know to be honest,but have you had any test's at all?
This is worth a read.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/chroni...-disease-copd/
SallyS
South East, UK
SallyS is female  SallyS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2018, 11:16 AM

My husband has COPD. He goes once a week to the pulmonary rehabilitation gym class, offered by our gp. He also does yoga and since his diagnosis a year ago, has become fitter. He walks regularly and eats a healthy diet. He was diagnosed after he got pneumonia a year ago. He takes a one a day puff on his inhalation powder 'Anoro' and always has his emergency pack of steroids and antibiotics with him and his ventolin. He also uses a first defence spray up his nose before he goes out as a preventative against getting a cold, he hasn’t. Had a cold all winter. He hasn’t needed the steroids in 6 months and swears by the regular workouts at the gym.

He gave up smoking straight away too.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 11:50 AM

Yes LQ, I have COPD, the Doctors had been treating me for Asthma until last year when after having loads of breathing tests realised that I had COPD, I am on one tablet in the evening for the coughing, 2 tablets a day to bring up the Phlem and an Inhaler.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top