Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 01:04 AM

Re: Your Favourite Musical Instruments

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
My fanwy
Oooh! That's rude.

Isn't it?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 01:07 AM

I used to like drums, but I also like piano and guitar.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 01:12 AM

Realising that I am in a very tiny minority, I hesitate to state that my favourite instrument is the organ (the real one, not those inferior electronic substitutes).

Most people are even unaware of them, apart from hearing them in some churches played to lead hymn singing.

Most people probably don't realise that they are one of the most ancient instruments, known to the Romans and ancient Greeks.

I don't suppose anyone is particularly interested, but I'll tell you anyway! The thing I find interesting about them is their construction (they are far more complicated machines than most people realise) and the fact that they can produce an extremely wide range of sounds. Mixing different stops (voices) to produce literally millions of different sounds is probably comparable to mixing a range of ingredients to create comestible creations!

Also, unlike just about every other instrument, those in different countries are usually quite different: they have a national characteristic, just like languages.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 01:14 AM

Just about every musical instrument, depending on what music is being played.

What I find quite remarkable is the way in which each instrument has been made, when each was first made, (different periods in history) what each has been made of , how it is played, and yet they have all been made specifically to come together with the ability to play the same musical notes. Now, that is Magic !

If you get my drift ?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 01:17 AM

Hey JBR we are on the same planet,. I have just mentioned the amazing way they are all made I/e/ construction. (you used a better term ) Great minds, or greater listening skills ?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

07-01-2017, 01:24 AM

Like this you mean ? Beautiful !

For JBR

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

07-01-2017, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Hey JBR we are on the same planet,. I have just mentioned the amazing way they are all made I/e/ construction. (you used a better term ) Great minds, or greater listening skills ?
I agree. When I was teaching, one of my favourite activities was encouraging the kids to make musical instruments out of junk, having first supplied them with lots of basic information of how sounds are produced. Of course, there were the usual 'shakers' (fill an old container with rice, etc), but some came up with some really good efforts: nail glockenspiel, tea chest double bass, copper pipe carillon, etc.

Yes, I have always been interested in how things work. I sometimes take things apart for find out (and then struggle to put them back together again).

I don't know whether you have seen that TV programme with James May - 'The Reassembler', in which he re-assembles (of course) various articles. The one earlier this week was a food mixer. Fascinating programme.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

07-01-2017, 01:34 AM

Like this you mean ? Beautiful !

For JBR

Well, yes. Unfortunately, many American organs are just overdone in a desperate attempt to make them bigger than anyone elses - like this one! Also, I'm afraid they don't really have a national organ-type: they basically copy the various European types!

(Sorry. Not trying to get at our American members, but what I say is very true.)
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
https://youtu.be/5Uy56IlzkV8
Our Dad played like this.
Wooowww.
That's really tinkling the ivories isn't it!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 01:47 AM

Just about every musical instrument, depending on what music is being played.

What I find quite remarkable is the way in which each instrument has been made, when each was first made, (different periods in history) what each has been made of , how it is played, and yet they have all been made specifically to come together with the ability to play the same musical notes. Now, that is Magic !

If you get my drift ?
I sure do!
And yes it's truly magical

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top