Join for free
Page 8 of 17 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 04:59 PM

Re: Scotland, England and the EU

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I don't know about other areas Bruv. I came across this and posted it. But yes I am quite sure you'd be able to find articles about Westminster and the area your meaning.
Anyway I'm not going to argue all this again as it made me feel quite ill last time when the independence vote was going on, the bile coming from some on here was disgusting, and still very fresh in mine and other's memories.
What ever will be will be, as the song says.
Too true Roxy and I don't intend trying to explain to anyone about My choice of Politics because it's nobodys business but Mine,so They can all go and clean up Their own back yards before They start telling Me what to do about Mine.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 05:05 PM

I wish folk just wouldn't take it so personally ...

You've got to laugh ... about the SNP MPs when they rocked up at Westminster that time like a rowdy works outing off to the seaside, squabbling over seats and the beer.
And yes ... they were in good company as the place is full of prats.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I wish folk just wouldn't take it so personally ...

You've got to laugh ... about the SNP MPs when they rocked up at Westminster that time like a rowdy works outing off to the seaside, squabbling over seats and the beer.
And yes ... they were in good company as the place is full of prats.
AGREED!....thank feck for that
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 05:22 PM

Despite all that I rather like the Scots.
That's good Morti, cos we like you tooooo.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
Got a wee theory about the different attitude we have up here to the EU. We are used to being a small partner in an unequal union. Scotland is the next biggest nation in the U.K. but is still 10 times smaller than England. As a result we will always be outvoted if there is a difference of opinion, we voted remain yet we will leave against the majority wish up here. England, on the other hand , is naturally used
to being the dominant partner and finds it difficult to be a smaller part of a large union like the EU. I don’t think we are any less Scottish despite 300 odd years of union. I’m sure the French don’t feel any less French or the Germans any less German despite the EU. I would like to see an independent Scotland playing its part in Europe but the main point is we would be free to make our own choice as to be a member or not, it’s all about self determination as far as I’m concerned
Just thought I’d throw it out there, hard hat on now!
If you think Scotland is being outvoted by England in the UK Weedeek how do you think we will fare in the EU conglomerate run by France and Germany? Also 61% of our exports are with the rest of the UK and only 16% with the EU. It doesn't make sense to turn our backs on our biggest market. Sturgeon is biding her time to cash in on the anti Brexit vote as she knows that is her only chance of winning another indy referendum.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 06:25 PM

Why the need for any angst?

If the Scots wants Independence .. why not? Nothing wrong with pride in your country. They've a rich history which even a sassenach enjoyed reading about at school.

I do however fail to see how they'd survive alone.
They couldn't survive now without the Barnett formula which generously allows them a disproportionate handout compared to English, Welsh or Irish.
In short, they receive more per head than any other 'nation' within the UK. The favoured 5 million? Hardly poor or second rate citizens now because of it.

Presumably they'd need the same financial safety net from the EU ... and as most Remainers suggest Britain is too small to survive alone as a stand alone country, the Scots would be in dire straights indeed.

Then there's the matter of the 'Lothian Question'
There was talk of adjusting this. Part of a sweetener deal between Cameron and Sturgeon to prevent further Scottish Independence referendums. Has it been adjusted?

Why should English be dictated to by Scots, N. Ireland and Welsh MP's voting on English affairs.
Famous example ... didn't Scottish MP's vote against student fees in their own Scottish Parliament but then come down to England and vote that English students did had to pay them?
(I'd love someone to tell I've got that wrong as it sounds particularity Machiavellian and hypocritical).

If I wanted to be as bolshie I could demand an English Parliament down at Westminster and English Independence... and bar all other MP's bar the English.

Despite all that I rather like the Scots.
Well said Morty.

Totally agree with you.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I don't know about other areas Bruv. I came across this and posted it. But yes I am quite sure you'd be able to find articles about Westminster and the area your meaning.
Anyway I'm not going to argue all this again as it made me feel quite ill last time when the independence vote was going on, the bile coming from some on here was disgusting, and still very fresh in mine and other's memories.
What ever will be will be, as the song says.
I wasn't knocking what you posted Roxy, but the claim that Scotland gets bigger handouts from Westminster.
It is unique with the highlands and islands, so costing more to deliver the same services, like schooling and hospitals.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 08:17 PM

They couldn't survive now without the Barnett formula which generously allows them a disproportionate handout compared to English, Welsh or Irish.
In short, they receive more per head than any other 'nation' within the UK.
This isn't actually true Norn Iron gets the highest amount per head

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spending_graph_v2.PNG
Views:	62
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	6938  
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
This isn't actually true Norn Iron gets the highest amount per head
You're right, they do. But all come higher than England.

Good graph. The regional variation for England is interesting. I'd never have expected the South East to be bottom.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
I wasn't knocking what you posted Roxy, but the claim that Scotland gets bigger handouts from Westminster.
It is unique with the highlands and islands, so costing more to deliver the same services, like schooling and hospitals.
I know that Bruv and I wasn't meaning you when I said I wouldn't go through the old arguments again. I full well remember who the Scots Haters are, I'm not likely to forget their onslaught in a hurry. Sorry if I didn't make myself very clear.

Page 8 of 17 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top