Join for free
Page 12 of 17 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 01:27 PM

Re: Scotland, England and the EU

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
Oops, just seen your reply Morti. Interesting proposition which seems far to sensible for the vested interests in Westminster to consider seriously. Even if it did come about, what would happen if one of the nations wanted to go a different way than the others? (eg EU dare I mention it)
Why not

Haven't a clue .. but the rate we're going here we'll sort it our eventually.
I suppose I'm not really moving with the times ... I just tend to prefer us all together because of our shared history (albeit some of it not too glorious and a bit grim). I like and
'connect' with Irish, Welsh and Scots more than I ever could with Europeans.

We are a little bit like our own mini-EU ... but the EU operated best when it was less complex and based mainly on economics and trade agreements not political amalgamation.
But times are a changing. I'm a bit of a dinosaur.

I also seem to be hogging this thread a wee bit.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 03:03 PM

Just thought, Did Parliament have the debate for a Referendum to abolish the Europhile House of Lords after the petition was handed in? I understood it was due to take place on 18th June 2018, but I can't seem to find anything that refers to it.

Anyone know any more please?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2018, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Just thought, Did Parliament have the debate for a Referendum to abolish the Europhile House of Lords after the petition was handed in? I understood it was due to take place on 18th June 2018, but I can't seem to find anything that refers to it.

Anyone know any more please?
The debate is here SG :

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/209433
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2018, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The debate is here SG :

Ah well, turkeys don’t vote for Christmas right enough! Back to the Federal set up, the fundamental problem is still that one partner is so much bigger than the rest (bigger than the rest combined) and is bound to dominate in areas of UK wide issues such as foreign policy etc. Still I’m off for a holiday in Russia tomorrow, that will put things in perspective.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2018, 12:26 PM

Ahhh - Give my regards to Vlad for me - tell him I'll give him a call next week
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2018, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The debate is here SG :

Thank you for that link Annie, Well, it was only what I expected. Ball-less May doing her usual. She'll be out on her ear soon enough though. It should be interesting to see what happens at the Tory Annual Conference this year. Tory grassroot members feel so utterly betrayed by her she has been told to expect Booing, slow hand-claps, and even walk-outs. Only what she deserves! My sympathy over her "trying to make the best out of a lousy legacy" has long gone!.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

27-08-2018, 01:26 PM

Weedeek, can I just say thank you for being brave enough for posting a subject which in the past has brought many anti-Scottish and anti-English sentiments on OFF.

Everyone has their own particular view on Scottish independence, as we do on UK independence from the EU.
Let's be honest, when Cameron used to shove his much spoken "The EU is good for us" spiel, I personally wanted to smack his smug Etonian face, because I, like many others North of Watford, knew he was, of course, talking just about London.

I'm trying to understand how the Scottish people feel. You must hate and resent the fact that you feel you are being controlled by Westminster .when, even though part of the Union, you have always seen yourselves as a different country to England.

I hope I speak for many English people however, when I say that those of us South of your border, have never had this feeling. We have always known Scotland as part of the beating heart of the UK. England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales, there it is on our flag. It has always been thus during our lifetime anyway, and the gradual breakup is hard for those with this feeling to feel anything but sadness at the thought that any one of the four would want to break away when we are such a small island and have been united in two world wars fighting against tyranny. But, I do understand your strong feeling of wanting to be independent, to run your own economy and make your own decisions, just as we are as keen to break away from the EU for exactly the same reason.

I know how I feel personally anyway when Boris says we want control back in Britain. We English look forward to regaining control. but... it can't be a nice feeling to the Scottish that feel they cannot win anyway because they will come under the rule of England.

However, I don't believe in Nicola Sturgeon to have the Scottish people's best interests at heart. I apologise if you feel I am insulting your leader, but I just see her as a jumped up Civil Servant punching beyond her weight. She is so obviously blinkered in her hatred of all that is English, she is bordering on Racism. She is so intent on her party surviving she is prepared to offer Scotland on a plate to the EU, just as Heath did to us with his lies.

If the Scottish people wish to be independent, and it happens, sad though it will be to many of us, I say good luck to you. What you seek is no different to that which we are longing for in breaking away from the shackles of the EU.
What you decide on regarding the EU, will then be your decision to make and live with.
Que Sera Sera.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2018, 03:15 PM

Let's be honest, when Cameron used to shove his much spoken "The EU is good for us" spiel, I personally wanted to smack his smug Etonian face, because I, like many others North of Watford, knew he was, of course, talking just about London.
That's not what the figures say.

How much do the regions of the UK receive in EU funding?

Where in the UK receives most EU funding
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2018, 04:49 PM

Weedeek, can I just say thank you for being brave enough for posting a subject which in the past has brought many anti-Scottish and anti-English sentiments on OFF.

Everyone has their own particular view on Scottish independence, as we do on UK independence from the EU.

I'm trying to understand how the Scottish people feel. You must hate and resent the fact that you feel you are being controlled by Westminster .when, even though part of the Union, you have always seen yourselves as a different country to England.

I hope I speak for many English people however, when I say that those of us South of your border, have never had this feeling. We have always known Scotland as part of the beating heart of the UK. England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales, there it is on our flag. It has always been thus during our lifetime anyway, and the gradual breakup is hard for those with this feeling to feel anything but sadness at the thought that any one of the four would want to break away when we are such a small island and have been united in two world wars fighting against tyranny. But, I do understand your strong feeling of wanting to be independent, to run your own economy and make your own decisions, just as we are as keen to break away from the EU for exactly the same reason.

I know how I feel personally anyway when Boris says we want control back in Britain. We English look forward to regaining control. but... it can't be a nice feeling to the Scottish that feel they cannot win anyway because they will come under the rule of England.

However, I don't believe in Nicola Sturgeon to have the Scottish people's best interests at heart. I apologise if you feel I am insulting your leader, but I just see her as a jumped up Civil Servant punching beyond her weight. She is so obviously blinkered in her hatred of all that is English, she is bordering on Racism. She is so intent on her party surviving she is prepared to offer Scotland on a plate to the EU, just as Heath did to us with his lies.

If the Scottish people wish to be independent, and it happens, sad though it will be to many of us, I say good luck to you. What you seek is no different to that which we are longing for in breaking away from the shackles of the EU.
What you decide on regarding the EU, will then be your decision to make and live with.
Que Sera Sera.
Well! Thanks for your considered post! Proves it doesn’t have to be all out war and nasty on political forums. You won’t be surprised that I don’t agree with your opinion of Nicola Sturgeon. Got a quote of hers for you-
“I condemn any comments or language, that is in any way shape or form racist or anti-English or in any way seeks to divide people on the basis of their ethnicity.”
I suspect you won’t believe that but maybe you could verify it with her English granny! Personally I have no time for anti Englishness and hope you believe me at least.
Got friends in Shropshire , Wellington nr Telford, and go regularly Shrewsbury Folk Festival (big fan of Morris Dancing but keep that quiet).
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2018, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
Ah well, turkeys don’t vote for Christmas right enough! Back to the Federal set up, the fundamental problem is still that one partner is so much bigger than the rest (bigger than the rest combined) and is bound to dominate in areas of UK wide issues such as foreign policy etc. Still I’m off for a holiday in Russia tomorrow, that will put things in perspective.
What it all boils down to is whether you consider yourself to be a citizen of the UK or of Scotland.

Although I feel very strongly about my Yorkshire roots, in a practical frame of mind I consider myself to be a UK citizen.

By the same token, if I were a Scotsman I would still feel that I am a UK citizen.

I don't accept this 'poor me' attitude that Yorkshire (with a population number similar to that of Scotland) is disadvantaged by being a small partner is a much bigger collective. The same might be said by an East Anglian or a South-Westerner for example.

Everybody has their own preferences. Every region of England has its own ideals and opinions.

Scotland was historically, of course, an independent country but Scots people must decide first whether they would prefer independence from the UK or accept that they are as much a part of the UK as is Lancashire, Wales, or even Londonistan.

As I understand it, the majority vote in Scotland was to remain part of the UK. I suggest that you accept this and work on the basis of being a UK citizen rather than a would-be independent Scotsman.

Page 12 of 17 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top