Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 08:48 PM

If you were suddenly in charge of your company*

Would you change much?

There are many rules and regulations we sometimes see as employees as being out of date or out of touch which are employed in our places of work.

I get rather disillusioned at some rules that are enforced which tend to not be thought out too well. The main thing I would do if it was my call to get the place running more smoothly would be to employ more common sense in favour of the "by the book" approach.

Obviously, I would be careful as to not let this affect the company's "policy" where there would be unlawful goings-on or total anarchy, but being practical could be a good thing.

*This is a hypothetical question, you do not need to still be at work
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 09:00 PM

Re: If you were suddenly in charge of your company*

I would put in a rule to ban all but essential meetings. Most matters do not require sitting around for an hour chewing the issue over. If there is nothing new to report then there is no point in calling a meeting.

I would also ban emails that are more than three paragraphs long, and there would be a limit on the number of characters per paragraph.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I get rather disillusioned at some rules that are enforced which tend to not be thought out too well. The main thing I would do if it was my call to get the place running more smoothly would be to employ more common sense in favour of the "by the book" approach.
This is a tough one. People do not update rules because keeping track of what's relevant is in the "too difficult" box. Throwing out the rule book leads to a loss of control and a drift from corporate objectives. Good for a business in the creative industries but not so good where health and safety & corporate image is at stake.

Where you have local workarounds you end up like some of the franchises that stop offering the slick corporate image and end up with frayed seats, broken fixtures and grouchy staff.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 09:13 PM

It is possible to escape, and see things from another perspective, you don't need to be a Dragon to do that.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 09:19 PM

I have had my own company. Their are already rules one has to abide by legally such as T.U.P.E - Licensing- Insurance cover etc etc. Let alone watching out for A.C.A.S and the like.
Then there has to be company rules under Health and Safety as well as appropriate company rules depending on what the company does.

So as to your question
In effect the only rules that one might change are the company rules for safety and proceedures and even that may well be limited

An employee should be signing up to say they agree with company rules in the first instant " contract of employment" and given a copy. That would include job description -hours of work- - start/stop times and breaks "which are compulsory"-employees rights and arbitration proceedures.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 09:23 PM

I would get rid of the managers on managers on managers, who are on top of line managers, line managers and line managers....... and so it goes on....
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I would put in a rule to ban all but essential meetings. Most matters do not require sitting around for an hour chewing the issue over. If there is nothing new to report then there is no point in calling a meeting.

I would also ban emails that are more than three paragraphs long, and there would be a limit on the number of characters per paragraph.
I was in charge of a company primarily engaged in industrial power electronics. I had a good crew, people I'd worked with for decades. Eventually, we got swallowed up by a large US corporation with over 100,000 employees.

It then became much more formal and impersonal. Rules that were not really applicable to our division, mandatory formal training courses on stuff we knew more about than the tutor.....just so HR could tick the boxes.

Same with recruitment. Applications had to go through HR before I had any input. It all became a bit like wading through treacle. And I was getting on a bit. I was 70 when I called it a day.

I still do a bit of consulting work, mainly on kit that we designed and manufactured.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 04:33 AM

I had my own business that we purchased from a graduating student when we were in college. Because it was already up and running, we sat back and watched operations for a while without making changes. After we had the place for a couple of months, we brought our employees together to create a manual of "thou shall" and "thou shalt nots" to ensure that customer service was stellar, that productivity was high, and that we maintained a policy base that was fair and across the board. We decided it was easier than repeating things over and over, and since our employees practically wrote the thing themselves, we never had any pushback. Once a year we tweaked it and always encouraged our employees input. It seemed to work well.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 05:25 AM

Cut their wages,bone idle buggers.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 09:03 AM

If l owned my own company and it was necessary, l would hate to issue redundancy notices. That must be one of the worst things anyone has to do.
I think some bosses pass the buck and give the task to their managers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top