Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2009, 04:21 PM

Filling up holes

How do you fill up holes, like when there are big holes left where a wardrobe was fitted and now taken down? Do you just stick Pollyfilla in the holes or what? Any advice appreciated as weve got holes weve got to fill. Thanks.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2009, 04:29 PM

Re: Filling up holes

Hi Alicat for big holes you can buy some kind of mesh stuff from the hardware shop to put over the hole before applying the filler (it looks like the material you use for cross stitch embroidery ) . I used it when filling a large hole in the bathroom ..
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Alicat for big holes you can buy some kind of mesh stuff from the hardware shop to put over the hole before applying the filler (it looks like the material you use for cross stitch embroidery ) . I used it when filling a large hole in the bathroom ..
Thanks Meg, I will look out for that mesh stuff, I never knew you could buy that. Thanks alot.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2009, 12:40 AM

Make sure you soak the hole with water before filling it, it helps the filler to bond with the old plaster.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2009, 01:34 AM

This might help:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/templa...pair_walls.jsp
Alicat
West Berkshire

07-09-2009, 05:40 PM

Thanks alot for your replies, my husband has filled the holes in now. They weren't as big as I thought they were but all the advice is very welcome when we have to fill in bigger holes again. Thanks alot to you all
Ford Prefect
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Ford Prefect is male 

04-02-2011, 02:54 AM

A tip for anyone patching holes or cracks: It must get worse before it gets better. Open the crack up or enlarge the hole slightly by creating a bevel to the edges. This will give the patching compound a clean plaster substrate and larger area to bond to.

Use a wide blade knife to apply the compound; not some dinky little 1" putty knife. Press firmly and ensure the hole is fully filled. Plaster beyond the area patched and when sanding feather the edge to let it blend in. This is easily checked with your finger to feel for a ridge.
ClaireMarie
Ontario, Canada
ClaireMarie is female  ClaireMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2011, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ford Prefect ->
A tip for anyone patching holes or cracks: It must get worse before it gets better. Open the crack up or enlarge the hole slightly by creating a bevel to the edges. This will give the patching compound a clean plaster substrate and larger area to bond to.

Use a wide blade knife to apply the compound; not some dinky little 1" putty knife. Press firmly and ensure the hole is fully filled. Plaster beyond the area patched and when sanding feather the edge to let it blend in. This is easily checked with your finger to feel for a ridge.
I thinkest Ford Prefect this requires a house call. Do you bill for milage?
Ford Prefect
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Ford Prefect is male 

04-02-2011, 04:29 AM

You have too much snow there!
marilyno07
Gloucestershire
marilyno07 is female  marilyno07 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2011, 09:15 AM

We have plenty of holes in our house - I am always moving mirrors and pictures. We get some of that instant filla then rub the wall with sandpaper - then its ready for a coat of paint - though the painting could take another year or two!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top