Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Old Supporter
Bedfordshire UK
Old Supporter is male  Old Supporter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2016, 11:24 AM

Re: power of attorney advice please

I, too, am looking into LPA. I realise that there are 2 different types, one covering finance etc, and one covering health etc. I have several questions :

1. Does each one have seperate payments and registration?

2. Do a husband and wife have to make out individual ones seperately?

3. This then means 4 charges for a married couple? Is that correct?

Any replies would be appreciated

Arthur
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2016, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Old Supporter ->
I, too, am looking into LPA. I realise that there are 2 different types, one covering finance etc, and one covering health etc. I have several questions :

Arthur
Little bit confused with your questions.

But a basic fact.... When my wife died with out a will I applied for LPA so I could get her Estate settled(money). No problems with this just applied on line and then had to have an interview that lasted 5 minutes.

Think if she had gone do dally then getting LPA is harder would need doctors and others.
Old Supporter
Bedfordshire UK
Old Supporter is male  Old Supporter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2016, 07:55 PM

Galty,
Now you have me confused. I understand LPA is applied for while the person is alive and able to agree before getting to the stage of not being able to make decisions. What you are talking about sounds to me like applying for probate.

Arthur
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2016, 03:54 PM

Arthur
I assume we are talking about the UK
1 yes
2 yes so far as I know
3 yes

My adult children have just applied for lasting power of attorney for my ex husband, whose health is deteriorating. There were two separate sets of forms, covering health, and finances.

You can only get this while the person is still alive and of sound mind. If they have, for instance, advanced dementia then you cannot get power of attorney. You have to go a different route, apply to court, and it is much more expensive.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2016, 06:03 PM

Galty,
Now you have me confused. I understand LPA is applied for while the person is alive and able to agree before getting to the stage of not being able to make decisions. What you are talking about sounds to me like applying for probate.

Arthur

Basicly its the same thing with some one who has died with out a will except if the other party is still alive you have to get a Doctors report to get power of attoney.

PS if the person has made a will and nominated a Power of Attoney no problem.

Noting different with some of who has died to some one who has gone do dally just more safe guards.
Old Supporter
Bedfordshire UK

03-06-2016, 07:09 PM

Thanks very much Indigo

Arthur
Pedro
Kent/Sussex
Pedro is male 

22-07-2016, 02:08 PM

Hi Susan, my first day as a member. Did you resolve your problem? I am more than happy to advise you as I write Wills and Lasting Powers of Attorney and am always happy to hand out free advice.
Kind regards
Peter Barrett (Pedro)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top