Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2016, 10:11 PM

Water Meter...

We had a water meter fitted earlier this month, (our choice), as our water rates were costing over £560 per year, 10 monthly payments of just over £56. No payments required in Feb or March.
We expect to save around £24 to £28 per month based on actual usage...
We have now received an amended statement which shows us 'in credit' by £88, starting at the date the meter was fitted. However they have now sent us a new payment book - with reduced payments (£40.50) which runs through to March 2017.
Needless to say, I phoned to complain, as I assumed we would be being billed on our (future) meter readings twice per year...
Hopefully, it's all sorted, but we will have to wait and see!
Anyone else on a water meter?
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2016, 10:32 PM

Re: Water Meter...

I had a water meter fitted last October. Now compulsory in this area. After three months of use they assessed our usage and my bill was reduced by 50% as was the bill for the waste water. Mind you there are only two of us so I find myself being far more aware of what we use now. I only flush the toilet on a Sunday. Sometimes it's not even necessary!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2016, 10:37 PM

That's interesting Malc, as we have been thinking about a water meter.

In theory, as there are only two of us here, we should be able to save a bit of money if we had one. However, I'm not sure enough to apply for one: I have quite a long shower every morning (10 - 15 minutes) and also, in this hot weather, I need to top up our fish pond regularly. Then there's the pressure washer. This, of course, in is addition to all the usual needs. It would be nice to be able to create a good estimate of our uses before making an application.

I might also add that our toilet is a bit crap (no pun intended) and I need to flush it twice or three times. Sorry, I'm sure no-one really wanted to know that.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2016, 10:40 PM

When I moved here, it was already on metered water, and that was about 9 years ago. My previous house had one too, so I have probably been metered for 10 or 11 years now. Consequently I don't really know what the water would cost without one now.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2016, 10:54 PM

I had a water meter fitted a couple of years ago.
My bills have gone up considerably.

I use very little water and am disgusted.
Had a guy out to see if there was a leak ... he said there wasn't.

Stuck with the darned thing now
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2016, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
I had a water meter fitted a couple of years ago.
My bills have gone up considerably.

I use very little water and am disgusted.
Had a guy out to see if there was a leak ... he said there wasn't.

Stuck with the darned thing now
I think I'll stay away from them, then, at least until they become compulsory. Also, I don't trust these people not to push up the charges once they've got you hooked.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 07:24 AM

I had one fitted about four years ago and my bills dropped from £42 per month to £12 per month. The only changes made to my normal usage - I have put a brick in my rather large lavatory cistern so it uses less water, and I bought two rainwater barrels - one is attached to the down pipe from the guttering, the other is freestanding.

I still shower twice a day and run the washing machine as soon as there is a full load.

When I was first considering it - I applied to Yorkshire Water for advice and they were brilliant. A man came out to discuss it and left me with a lot of information leaflets - no pushy selling technique - just patiently answered questions. As an incentive they were, at that time, offering a discount voucher for rainwater barrels.

When it was fitted there was a 3 month "changed my mind" option - then it became a fixture. Were I to sell the house the new owners would be stuck with it.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 08:27 AM

I've saved loads with the water meter. I'd have to look up the exact figures, but my bill is less than half what it was before.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 09:15 AM

I now have a water meter-the garden and pond want to know if we could have some rain soon please.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 09:22 AM

My advice if you water the garden , wash the car , use a lot of water is stay without a meter depends on what you use . As for me living on my own a massive 50% saving , I am careful though . I think a family would benefit from not having a meter .

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top