Join for free
Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 09:48 PM

Re: Real books vs e books?

I have a few classics that reading on a Kindle would seem like sacrilege..a good real book, a drop of port on a winters evening is very pleasant.
Fudge
New Member!
Wales
Fudge is female 

01-01-2018, 03:36 PM

I love real books and always will but also enjoy using my kindle paperwhite for several reasons. It is easier to hold than some of the big heavy hardbacks, there are lots of freebies/cheapish books available, it can be used late at night without disturbing my husband and I can sit outside to read in strong sunlight (when we get it) with a larger font so no need for my reading glasses.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 06:38 PM

I love any kind of book!

I thought I'd never like or get used to eBooks but I have read dozens on my Kindle, I buy them if they're less than a fiver.
Otherwise I'll buy paperbacks if there's an offer...

Expensive books I order from the library....tomorrow I'm collecting one that's been bought new, how important that makes me feel!
The library service is such a joy.
It will be a brand new hardback book which I'll be the first to read, yummy!!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I love any kind of book!

I thought I'd never like or get used to eBooks but I have read dozens on my Kindle, I buy them if they're less than a fiver.
Otherwise I'll buy paperbacks if there's an offer...

Expensive books I order from the library....tomorrow I'm collecting one that's been bought new, how important that makes me feel!
The library service is such a joy.
It will be a brand new hardback book which I'll be the first to read, yummy!!
I borrow my ebooks from the local library too, Don't even need to leave home
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I borrow my ebooks from the local library too, Don't even need to leave home
Not all libraries do ebooks which is a shame. Even in my area of London when I last checked they did not do them.
Escape
New Member!
East Anglia UK
Escape is female 

19-05-2018, 03:51 PM

I have always loved reading. There is nothing better than to escape into a good storyline, I have used both Kindle and paper books but do believe at the end of the day there is nothing better than to curly up with a glass of wine and a real book.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 04:19 PM

Hear hear !!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 04:54 PM

Reading Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit seems so much better in book form..not that my books do smell,but there seems to be a certain aroma about proper books
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 05:02 AM

When I was a teenager I borrowed a book from the library in Folkestone called, "The Scourge of the Swastika" (I think that is right). It had a very musty old book smell which is strange when you think that it couldn't have been that old because I would have borrowed it in the very late 50s.

However that musty book smell I will forever associate with horror and war crimes and while I read both 'real' books and ebooks I am very happy with non smelling books.

BTW On my recent trip I listened to audio books of Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaids Tale" and Tim Winton's "Dirt Music" I enjoyed them both very much. Audio books are perfect for when you are driving for hours on end.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 06:05 AM

Ebooks must be a blessing for those who like to read while on holidays - light weight, easy to pack, and hundreds of stories at the finger tips.

Audio Books are a brilliant for me in the Craft Room - I can be a messy as I like with glitter, paint and glue while enjoying a good story.

Real books cannot be beaten! The others may be more convenient but could never hope to produce the same contentment of a real book, a comfy sofa and a large glass of wine!

Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top