Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 10:06 AM

Dash cams.

I know this subject has been discussed some time ago, but as I am now looking for one as a prezzy for my SIL, I find that they have more functions from when I last was interested in them.
I have been reading reviews on a few and the reports are two sided as for good and bad reports.
So asking of the experience that you people have had, what is the recommended ones that I should be looking at.
I am looking to spend about £100.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 11:10 AM

Re: Dash cams.

Which magazine's Top 5 are all Nextbase models.

I have the 312GW Deluxe which, apparently, £87.95.

The newer 412GW Professional is currently selling for £109.00.

They are ranked at No 1 (72%) and No 5 (70%) , respectively.

No 6 is the Transcend DrivePro 230 for £149.94 at 69%.

If you have another model in mid, let me know what it is and I will check it for you.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 11:39 AM

I have the 312GW which does the job and the hard wire kit is well worth getting. Don't forget you will also need a micro SD card about 32 gig is right.
hard wiring isn't hard , working from the window position all you have to do is feed the cable under the roof cover , being plastic it will pull out enough to feed the cable behind. Take it down inside the door rubber shut and to where the inside fuse box is.

You will need to look to either find a spare fuse or piggyback off an exisiting one, I did it to the heated car seat fuse. Make sure the fuse is not perminantly live and is off when the ignition is off.

Sounds hard but actually relatively easy or the well known car part shop will do it for you for a small fee .
this is mine in action . I can't position it by the centre mirror and had to place it next to the A pillar passanger side. I also put black tape around the camera over the name as it stood out like a beacon . I am trying to persuade my wife to have one as well

Here is one of mine, not often close enough for number plates in this clip as I don't drive up to bumper of the car infront

This is on the settings as bought but can be altered via the menu button

One where if the car was hit we had proof of whose fault it was. Luckily we were far enough away to stop in plenty of time. count the number of steps away the person walking took, about 7 or 8 so you can work out how close we were

Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 11:46 AM

Thanks Omah.
I have been looking at the Mio Mivue models. But the reviews were not so good.
Also I was surprised at the Garmin models, also some bad reports of after sale service.
Some time back a neighbour gave me a Nextbase to play with. The battery was dead and I opened it up in an attempt to replace the battery. Too many wires became detached in the effort. So it was a bin job.
I did run it at first with the power lead, and was impressed at the quality of the results.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Thanks Omah.
I have been looking at the Mio Mivue models.
Mio MiVue 538 Deluxe £119.00 58%

Review extract:

The footage from the MiVue 538 is reasonably detailed, but the image can be blocky and this does affect the quality of the video. Number plates are legible up to around 10m, which would allow you to read the number plate of a car if you had a crash, but we would prefer it to be more - you're expected to see number plates from 20m away to pass a driving test.

As with most of the older dash cams we've tested, footage deteriorates a lot in low-light conditions. Number plates could just about be read when driving in well-lit areas, but only from less than 5m away - unlikely to be enough if you wanted to prove whose fault a crash is.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

24-11-2017, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Some time back a neighbour gave me a Nextbase to play with. The battery was dead and I opened it up in an attempt to replace the battery. Too many wires became detached in the effort. So it was a bin job.
I did run it at first with the power lead, and was impressed at the quality of the results.
Early battery failure was common with previous models - I believe that's no longer the case.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK

24-11-2017, 12:29 PM

Thanks for your quick replies guys. It would seem the ‘Nextbase’ is the one to go for so far.
When I am ready it will be an Amazon purchase and for me it is easy to ‘click and collect’ from my local Morrison’s and their yellow boxes.
So much easier than waiting in all day for a parcel to be delivered.
As for hard wiring, that would be up to my SIL. I notice that you can use an USB lead with a suitable car lighter. Plug.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 12:37 PM

I looked at a lot of makes and decided on the one above
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 05:52 PM

I have a Nextbase, and am very impressed with the quality of recording. I have not hard wired it but prefer to keep it indoors. I have to remember to press the sucker pad hard onto the windscreen before pushing down the clamp, as otherwise it will fall off if hitting a bump and it records the sky before I can stop and redo it. Brother got someone to hard wire his.

I put my sat nav on a heavy base in front of it. (The sat nav holder was bought in Halfords.)
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

24-11-2017, 06:24 PM

Jazz

with hard wired you can either slide the unit out of the suction holder part or unplug and remove the whole lot. Having it hard wired saves having something dangling down into a cigar lighter plug. Halfords do hard wiring by the way. i did mine straight into the fuse box with a piggyback connector

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top