Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 10:15 PM

Councils wasting money

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surr...anopy-14117631 What a waste !

After this and a few other decisions my local council have made I'm beginning to wonder what all the austerity has been about. They've closed so many things we need for the community, they've cut back rubbish collection and many other things they used to spend on but are chucking money away on buying office blocks and tearing down £4million canopy.

Makes me wonder how much is wasted around the country ? Is your council absolutely useless too ?
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 10:40 PM

Re: Councils wasting money

My county council is currently spending 35 million pounds on building new headquarters.
We have been put on four weekly bin collections!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 11:02 PM

Norfolk County Councillors have upset the locals.

https://www.change.org/p/norfolk-cou...ty-councillors
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 11:06 PM

So why did they build it? Seems as though everyone hated it.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 11:19 PM

Our council is intent on ripping off anyone who isn't on benefits. Mainly the pensioners because we are the ones who are out and about on a daily basis, not the workers who are keeping warm in the office, using all their facilities, water , electricity etc. at the same time earning a LOT of dosh..

Just about to install parking meters everywhere, along the proms, and country parks, and only those not at work will be using them during the day. They fail to realise we'll do more online shopping and visit different areas. In conclusion, the local shopping areas and retail business will fail .
The odd thing is, they won't install parking meters for the council employees !

We already pay over the odds, like Julie says for so many thing and services are collapsing, or being run by volunteers ,but the CEO is raking in a massive £180, 000 !! Many others close behind.

Our council has millions and millions in the pot, and keep putting forward plans to spend even more millions.. so I'm not sure what they are grumbling about.
They've even been bragging about the £400 million tourism brought to the area last year.. and set to increase by another half a million. What are they doing with that money, because most of the attractions we had have been closed by the council !
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 12:10 AM

You might find that they are only allowed to spend certain funding on certain things. So they may seem to have lots of money but very restricted on what they can use it for.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surr...anopy-14117631 What a waste !

After this and a few other decisions my local council have made I'm beginning to wonder what all the austerity has been about. They've closed so many things we need for the community, they've cut back rubbish collection and many other things they used to spend on but are chucking money away on buying office blocks and tearing down £4million canopy.

Makes me wonder how much is wasted around the country ? Is your council absolutely useless too ?

Julie darlin' - ask yourself one question: which political party has overall control of Surrey County Council. Pound to a pinch of sh*t, its the scumbag 'nasty party'. If I'm right there is the answer to all your questions about squandering 'your' money.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 10:47 AM

It's mostly limp dems supported by tories Uj. An unholy partnership, and why I was not dactyl thrilled when tories and limp dems decided to get together in a coilition government. Limp dems do anything to stay in power, and follow the tories in all matters.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

08-01-2018, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
So why did they build it? Seems as though everyone hated it.
Same reason they built a pedestrian bridge only to remove it a few years later and moved the market from a purpose built site to a corridor next to the library, at great cost.

They like wasting money. Mayors car is a very unpopular thing too with his personalised number plate, wok 1 was unholy row when deputy tried to rationalise buying wok 2 !

Austerity is IMO a scam just to take money from the poor and give it to these vanity projects.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 01:55 PM

Council decision makers are a breed apart. They never get it right in my opinion. That canopy is so ugly, it should never have got planning permission in the first place. I suppose we have to take into account the possibility of back handers that influence things like this. Surrey council might be Tory (I have no idea) but money wasting happens in all council across the country.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top