Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 03:48 PM

Re: Children cleaning Schools

We never had pocket money when I was a kid.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
You should have been a "Junior Janitor" then.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 03:55 PM

Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
You poor sod. I did. Until mum went through her depressed stage and decided to split what was then Child Allowance. She took some for my board and lodging and gave me £3.00 a week to buy my own food, shampoo, clothing and anything else I needed. She charged us 50p to do our washing so I undercut her to boost my income (if they supplied the powder).
She also charged us 2p for an egg ...but I couldn't lay my own so had to cough up if I wanted one.
I can't believe I'm writing this ..it makes me sound weird.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
You poor sod. I did. Until mum went through her depressed stage and decided to split what was then Child Allowance. She took some for my board and lodging and gave me £3.00 a week to buy my own food, shampoo, clothing and anything else I needed. She charged us 50p to do our washing so I undercut her to boost my income (if they supplied the powder).
She also charged us 2p for an egg ...but I couldn't lay my own so had to cough up if I wanted one.
I can't believe I'm writing this ..it makes me sound weird.
Everything we needed was provided for my siblings and myself by our parents. However, it would have been a good idea to have pocket money so we could learn from a young age how to manage money. When I had my first job at 17, as a doctor's receptionist, it was a steep learning curve.

Our children were given pocket money as soon as they were old enough to buy their own sweets and comics. Our eldest girl would negotiate the pocket money rates for the year with her father on January 1st. He also had to add the 'tooth fairy' contributions for her and her sisters for the previous year. Funny, our kids had more teeth than anyone else. I can't remember exactly how much the kids got in pocket money in the 70s and 80s, the odd pound or two I suppose. We are still helping out when we see a need.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 07:00 PM

No pocket money for us either

I got a paper round for £3 a week at 13. I thought I was ever so rich

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top