Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 03:29 PM

Re: Assisted dying

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
The young have their lives ahead of them, the old will kick the bucket sooner. Obviously if the NHS wasn't strapped for cash then everyone should get equal treatment, but until then, the young should be first in the queue. Of course criminals, of whatever age, should be the very last to received treatment

But how would that work in practice? What are you suggesting?
Two people see a consultant and both are told they have aggressive cancer? One is in their 20's .. the other in their 50's.

Are you saying the younger gets offered any available remedial treatment but the older one doesn't but gets offered assisted dying?

Surely the whole basis of assisted dying is rooted in compassion. I see no compassion in your suggestion rather instead a throw away kind of brutality toward poor old sods.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
But how would that work in practice? What are you suggesting?
Two people see a consultant and both are told they have aggressive cancer? One is in their 20's .. the other in their 50's.

Are you saying the younger gets offered any available remedial treatment but the older one doesn't but gets offered assisted dying?

Surely the whole basis of assisted dying is rooted in compassion. I see no compassion in your suggestion rather instead a throw away kind of brutality toward poor old sods.
I stated quite clearly that assisted dying is the CHOICE of the patient and should not be forced on anyone.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 04:07 PM

But you also said ....
The young should take priority over the old, imo, as the NHS is strapped for cash.
And it was that remark I was drawing attention to.
Please don't ever apply for a job with the NHS.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 04:19 PM

But you also said ....

And it was that remark I was drawing attention to.
Please don't ever apply for a job with the NHS.
I was a student nurse in 1968, not my choice, but my father insisted on it. I soon gave it up as it wasn't for me.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

08-02-2018, 04:24 PM

What a creepy feeling ... I find myself in agreement with you.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

08-02-2018, 04:27 PM

What a creepy feeling ... I find myself in agreement with you.
In agreement with me about what?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 04:31 PM

Up until my mum became quadriplegic I had an open mind....watching her get weaker, her dignity all but gone and her reliance on others which she hated...I'd say "yes" in certain circumstances.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

08-02-2018, 04:33 PM

In agreement with me about what?
That you decided nursing was not for you.
My sister was similar. Except she wanted to be a nurse but failed the medical... and we all breathed a sigh of relief. Oh, she'd have gaurnateed bed blocking wasn't a problem and in her own way probably been highly efficient at a conveyor belt type of Health Service. Pragmatic. Practical. But her bedside manner not so finely tuned.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

08-02-2018, 04:37 PM

That you decided nursing was not for you.
My sister was similar. She wanted to be a nurse but failed the medical... and we all breathed a sigh of relief. Oh, she'd have gaurnateed bed blocking wasn't a problem and in her own way probably been highly efficient at a conveyor belt type of Health Service. Pragmatic. Practical. But her bedside manner not so finely tuned.

According to the matron I did a good job for the nine months I was training as an SRN. I don't think I killed anyone.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

08-02-2018, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Up until my mum became quadriplegic I had an open mind....watching her get weaker, her dignity all but gone and her reliance on others which she hated...I'd say "yes" in certain circumstances.
It's natural and instinctive to think that ..it goes against the grain doesn't it?
But I was the same with my mum ... the illness or disease takes over but you have to see and consider the needs of the person you love that you can see deep down still resides within.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top