Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 11:01 PM

Get rid of your tenners

Didn't know whether to put this in the Finance section, but thought more people might see it here.

An important message from the Martin Lewis site:

If you've still got any old £10 notes, beware – you only have until Thursday 1 March to spend them before they're officially withdrawn by the Bank of England. Here's what's happening and what you can do if you miss the deadline.

Following the launch of the new polymer tenner in September, the older £10 notes featuring Charles Darwin have been gradually phased out and will cease to be legal tender in a few days' time.

It's believed that more than a quarter of the old £10 notes, worth a staggering £2.2 billion, remain in circulation - so if you've any old tenners, the last day to use them is Thursday 1 March. After this date, retailers will no longer accept them.

North of the border, older Scottish £5 and £10 notes will also stop being accepted on 1 March, but there are no changes planned for Northern Irish banknotes.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 11:08 PM

Re: Get rid of your tenners

Ah but Mups even though you wont be able to spend them you can take them to a Bank or Post Office, and they will give you new ones.
Same applies to old £1 coins apparently.
Phew!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 11:19 PM

tesco still haven't adapted their trolleys for the new pound coin.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 11:37 PM

I don't think Ive had a plastic £10 yet

Plenty of £5's, Ive been saving those
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 08:12 AM

I haven't seen a paper tenner in quite a while now - it's quite mystifying to me just how speedily they can be taken out of circulation.

Thanks for the warning.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Ah but Mups even though you wont be able to spend them you can take them to a Bank or Post Office, and they will give you new ones.
Same applies to old £1 coins apparently.
Phew!

Hi ruthio , I thought post office would change the £10 notes , I went along with a bundle last month and they told me they could not change them and I'd have to go to a bank . I then went into town to my bank who insisted they were paid into my account and only then would they return the money .
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Hi ruthio , I thought post office would change the £10 notes , I went along with a bundle last month and they told me they could not change them and I'd have to go to a bank . I then went into town to my bank who insisted they were paid into my account and only then would they return the money .
It's about money laundering concerns. I tried to change some £20 into the new £10 notes and was told I had to go to my own bank.

I need to pay a solicitor's bill soon and their paperwork says they won't accept more than £750 in cash.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
tesco still haven't adapted their trolleys for the new pound coin.
They have here.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 10:19 AM

Timely reminder thank you. I'll have a look through our piggy banks that's only place we might have one hiding.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2018, 10:24 AM

I got rid of my last one this week!

I have a few of the new plastic £10 notes and l find them hard to straighten as they curl back up again after being folded!

It made me think, it must be a nightmare for bank cashiers to count them in a pile, like they did with the old paper notes.

Or aren’t we meant to fold them?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top