Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Cosmos
UK
Cosmos is female  Cosmos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 07:59 PM

Re: Modern Gismos

Originally Posted by doctor ->
my induction hob tells me if saucepan is wrong type,it just don't turn on,,so some of my old ones were ok,
im pretty lost on teccy stuff,does that make me an old bat to

Lol...do you want an Answer Doc.......
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 08:32 PM

yep,go on
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Do you mean an induction hob?
Its a myth you need all new saucepans!
All you need is a handy magnet...if the magnet attaches itself to the base of your saucepan then its fine to use.
We discovered that most of our really old big family casserole saucepans were ok!!
Most of my pans were OK with my induction hob, all except my trusty pressure cooker which I had had for over forty years. I was really disappointed that I can no longer use it.

As for technology, although approaching 80, I give it a go despite some trepidation to start with. I usually get to grips with it in the end. I have recently been coming to terms with the Mac operating system, having always used Windows in the past (which I hated). I was so chuffed yesterday when I managed to upload and export photos. I get there in the end despite swearing and frustration.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 08:55 PM

I don't struggle with modern tech but I am considerably younger than the OP.

I do agree that technology works best in the home when simplified somewhat ie. cordless phones and smart TVs.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 08:58 PM

I find that the more gismos something's got, the more likely it is to break down.
Give me the good old plain-jane product any day.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 08:59 PM

Remember TV remotes that connected to the TV via a wire?

I think my Aunt had one some time in the early 70s.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 09:06 PM

I can't remember the wire, but I can remember getting off my butt to manually change the channels!
Still do it sometimes when the man hogs the remote!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
What the hell is one of them

Next time I need a cooker I'm just going to get two sticks to rub together and a pile of combustible material and if the pans don't work ... tough.
Induction is fantastic Morticia. As quick or as slow as you want for cooking. Nothing burns to the hob if you have a spillage so the hob always looks like new

If Im doing something like a large gammon and I know the water is going to spit out, I put a tea towel under the pan whilst cooking so absolutely no mess to clear up
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 09:22 PM

Over-engineering for the elderly is evil.

That is my mantra (it's either that or swearing like a sailor) while standing in front of the oven.

It's like worship, only in reverse.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 10:08 PM

I love my home phone as it speaks to me, saying who the caller is! But I still forget how to switch on the loud speaker, so fortunately I recently found the little plastic plate that clips onto the mic headset, for a comfort fit on the head. Without it, a little plastic notch digs in. Why the plate can’t be permanently fixed is beyond me.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top