Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 08:46 AM

Re: Modern Gismos

Originally Posted by poohdog ->
I just sold my unused digital microwave at half price to a friend because I couldn't understand the instructions....and have replaced it with a no nonsense simple to use model.

My TV is the very latest smart model but I haven't the faintest idea how to use all the clever clever stuff its capable of.

That's bad news, it's probably "Spying" on you as we speak, so to speak.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 10:25 AM

I only use around a tenth of my MacBook's capabilitites. It's basically a prettier Chromebook than the one it replaced which was a pretty Netbook (remember them?), although netbooks were definitely underpowered my Apple device flies along given its weak work load.
Tezza
Kent
Tezza is male  Tezza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 11:01 AM

I do all my stuff on an IPad, but find the one finger screen typing a bit slow. Must admit I like the predictive text. It saves a lot of stabbing. Thinking of going back to a laptop now though. 💻
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 11:58 AM

I must confess I am still tech mad even at my age. I still am a dab hand with the soldering iron. Smart TV, love it.
My iPad at times will not find my Wi-fi printer. So I have to use my other thorn tablet. I have 3 kindles but mostly use the paper white. No hi tech oven though just gas hob and electric oven. My microwave, cor, so many buttons.
There is a laptop somewhere not far from where I am sitting. Handy for transferring photos to memory sticks.
Did I tell you, that I was 80 last month.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 12:12 PM

We are trying to keep up, refuse to let it beat us. Smart tv actually quite easy to use certainly physically easier than having to swap plugs if we wanted to watch a DVD, now can do it by two clicks of the remote control. Magic.

Somethings are overly designed though with features we will never need so we look for simpler designs.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Once upon a time I had a Fan Oven.
I turned a knob to switch it on and turned a second knob to fix the required temperature.
Oh yes, and there was a separate Grill above. The End.

My new oven has the following settings: ....
Circo Therm
Circo Therm eco
Top/bottom heating
Pizza setting
Bread baking setting
Bottom heating
Circo-roasting
Full-surface grill
Centre-area grill
Slow cooking
Steam cooking
Dough proving
Oven cleaning
Interior lighting

Thats just the Main Oven.

Then theres theTop Oven zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
And how many do you use? Probably two or three like me.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
[/B]

That's bad news, it's probably "Spying" on you as we speak, so to speak.
I have heard the you need to be rather circumspect about what you say in front of it, when the smart TV is on.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 12:38 PM

I have had a life time of reading instructions so when I need to read them now, I tend to speed read them and skip certain bits which is not good and means I normally have to go back and read them again.

I have just bought a new printer which has 135 pages of instructions. A quarter of those are health and safety, things like 'Don't use your printer whilst swimming in the sea' or 'Don't drop on your foot.'

I know I will only ever need about a tenth of the things that the printer does.

The worst instructions are those that fold out into an A1 sheet.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 01:39 PM

One of the most irritating things I find is washing machines. I only want/use a 30, 40, 60 or boil wash. I don't want it to do anything else. So why do they have so many different programmes? Even the simpler ones are a pain.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
I must confess I am still tech mad even at my age. I still am a dab hand with the soldering iron. Smart TV, love it.
My iPad at times will not find my Wi-fi printer. So I have to use my other thorn tablet. I have 3 kindles but mostly use the paper white. No hi tech oven though just gas hob and electric oven. My microwave, cor, so many buttons.
There is a laptop somewhere not far from where I am sitting. Handy for transferring photos to memory sticks.
Did I tell you, that I was 80 last month.
Well done, you, for still being tech-mad; I guess I still am, too (as well as being watch-mad).

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top