Join for free
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 11:19 AM

Time Management of internet use

Do you find yourself setting aside time for browsing the web or do you pretty much dive in?

I used to have my tea at 4pm then listen to music 'til 6 then go online. Lately that has all changed, though, and the internet is often what I'll turn to when bored.

I'm trying to set up a routine whereby my favourite hobbies are all included, and I think I spend too much time on the internet (not including this forum btw).

I did set aside 2 hours for reading yesterday but failed miserably when my book or my concentration just lapsed so out came my MacBook then that was me for 4 hours, browsing, emailing, looking at You Tube etc.
noolsg
Kildare Ireland
noolsg is female  noolsg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 11:30 AM

Re: Time Management of internet use

I'm the same. I think at this stage if I couldn't get on the internet I might have severe withdrawals. I'm like Alice in Wonderland when I go on. And it does take the place of my hobbies.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 11:37 AM

I find that I am spending to much time with my iPad browsing. There seems to be so many things to go see. This forum for starters, then there is Facebook, and texting my friend in the USA. ( female). A couple of games need to improve my score.
Local pages of news and again threads.
Well what else is there to do in this cold weather? Yes alright, I do read my books on the kindle.
GET A LIFE MAN.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 11:44 AM

‘I’ll just have a quick look’, soon becomes a good few hours stint!
I am not one for routine, as l hate routine! I just give myself a ‘good talking to’ instead!
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 12:56 PM

I usually go online early morning when the rest of the world is sleeping.

Sometimes after dinner to catch up a thread that is just too good to miss what went on....lots of those here
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 01:00 PM

Yes, I like it online at 5am those nights when I can't sleep - forums have slowed to a crawl.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 01:06 PM

I have my computer switched on between 8am and 7pm. I check all the important things like e-mails, bank accounts, news and weather forecast for my area. I also look in on the forums on which I post, which are a displacement activity, when I have nothing better to do for a few minutes.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 01:07 PM

It varies with me.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

24-02-2018, 01:31 PM

First world problems again, I know, but I've yet to find a real use for my iPad apart from ebooks and video (I even bought the Pencil and tried it out a couple of times). It does a great job as a book reader and video device but often I'll get bored with it and switch to the laptop or one of my phones.

Perhaps I simply have too many devices and should have given due rational thought to their purchase.

Then I think that one of them will break, and have decided to keep what I have, not sell or buy anything for a good while.

I kind of rationalise this by telling myself that I don't own a car or TV nor take holidays abroad.

EDIT: I've decided to use the iPad as a daily journal using the Apple Pencil; perhaps by forcing this usage I will gain something new in perspective.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top