Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2012, 03:02 PM

Steam Mops

Mrs. PM has indicated that she would like a steam mop for the hard tile floors, but I cannot find one with a good review. Has anyone got one, what make is it and are they of any use?

I'd appreciate hearing of your experiences...
dollie
west sussex
dollie is female  dollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2012, 03:50 PM

Re: Steam Mops

ive got one and its brilliant..i got mine from amazon..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Holme-HSM200...2450096&sr=8-3
TWHRider
South Eastern U.S.
TWHRider is female  TWHRider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2012, 05:59 PM

Here's a review on a few steam mops, if this helps.

http://www.consumersearch.com/steam-...120716164500:s

I have a Swiffer steam mop that's ok but mom would have turned her nose up at it --- mom who used to wax the garage floor, then wash n wax the car before she put it back in --- on carboard pieces so as not to scuff the floor No kidding.

I don't like it for the laminate floors but it gets the job done on the linoleum.

If Mrs. Plantman's request is in the form of "it's my birthday" gift, I would opt for something of higher caliber than a Swiffer
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2012, 06:42 PM

We've got one but after using it a few times on the tiled kitchen floor Sheila has decided that she makes a better job by scrubbing the floor.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2012, 09:20 PM

I love my steam mop have a hand held unit two
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2012, 06:58 PM

I haven't got a steam mop of my own, but I borrowed my daughters. It required little effort and I put some fragrant cleaner into the water as well which made things smell good. You do have to make sure the floor is free from any debris before starting and it is best on floors which aren't too dirty to start with.
I'm not sure if I will get one or not (not convinced). Once the pad is dirty you have to change it or rinse it through, so it won't do all my hard floors in one go. Also don't leave it in one place too long as it gets hot and can taken the top of the surface of the floor - The best way of cleaning floors I know is still down on the knees to make sure every bit of muck is removed off the floor and out of corners. I don't think the floor mop would replace a good physical clean for me.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2012, 07:10 PM

Thanks everyone for your valued input. Mrs PM tried one today which was kindly lent by a neighbour for a demo, but I must admit we weren't that impressed. We have ceramic floor tiles in the kitchen and utility which get frequently mopped, but the grouting discolours over time and it is that she hoped a steam mop would clean, but in the final analysis I think it's going to be a wet day job for me to scrub the grouting clean, and then continue with the mop as and when required.....
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2012, 08:49 PM

my parent have one, since my mum broke her hip she always used to scrub the floors, but dad decided to get her a steam mop.

Not sure what brand it is but she end up getting me to give the floors a good scrub for her when i visit as she isn't that happy with it.
beanybit
Birmingham
beanybit is female  beanybit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2012, 11:52 AM

I would go with a Vax steam mop as they're reliable and have had great reviews. They do the S2 and S2S models. You get around 10 minutes use per full water tank, but it doesn't take long to heat up the water.

Alternatively, try the Morphy Richards Supersteam 70490 which lasts for ages and you can you use for other surfaces, not just floors.

Read reviews here: http://www.esteammopreviews.co.uk
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2012, 05:20 PM

Glad you asked this question Barry...I'd been thinking of getting one.
I don't think I'll bother now. Back to the mop and bucket for me, with some scented disinfectant, and the water sloshed over the front paving after... makes me front step smell loverly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top