Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 09:25 AM

Red wine.

I’m not overly fond of it myself but I want to get a couple of bottles for a family birthday.
I’ve been told the way to find a good wine is to feel the indent under the bottle – the deeper the indent the better the wine.

Why then in Tesco’s last week were they promoting a red wine that cost £9. 95 and it had no indent at all? A cheaper wine on the shelf had a very deep indent!!
I asked the girl doing the promotion and she didn’t know. She said there was a lot of snobbery surrounding wines – cork/screw tops etc. I have noticed some quite expensive wines have screw tops nowadays.

So – how do I tell a good wine please?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 09:37 AM

Re: Red wine.

Go to Aldi, look for a bottle just under a fiver, any bottle, and buy that. Only an expert would be able to tell it was a cheap bottle.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 09:39 AM

I'm not sure why the indent should determine the quality of the wine. Who told you that and was s/he sober at the time?
If you don't know anything about wine, just buy something mid range and keep your fingers crossed they'll like it.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 09:46 AM

Never heard about indent feeling!

There are a couple of popular wines available at every supermarket that seem to most peoples taste Im thinking Shiraz Merlot and Pinot Noir..
Aldi is not a bad place to buy from..

Having said that the only red wine I drink is the one we make ourselves!
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Go to Aldi, look for a bottle just under a fiver, any bottle, and buy that. Only an expert would be able to tell it was a cheap bottle.
Agree!
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 10:02 AM

You can't tell a good book by its cover and similarly you can't tell a good bottle of wine by the bottle or by the price.
There is only one way and that is to buy a bottle and try it....if it suits your palate then buy another one.
My advice would be buy Australian or South American or South African and avoid Spanish at all costs.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 10:03 AM

A friend of mine went to a 'wine tasting' and was told by the 'expert' who was conducting the wine tasting that feeling for the indent was a sure way to tell a good wine!

Something to do with sediments I think - that's all I know...
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 11:14 AM

I always go for a Merlot can't be beaten.
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 12:16 PM

Merlot, shiraz or valpolicello are our favourites.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
You can't tell a good book by its cover and similarly you can't tell a good bottle of wine by the bottle or by the price.
There is only one way and that is to buy a bottle and try it....if it suits your palate then buy another one.
My advice would be buy Australian or South American or South African and avoid Spanish at all costs.
Why do you advise to avoid Spanish, malcolm?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top